Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing a strategy against indices

Hi,

I have recently learnt about NT and have a programming background. I trade the indices namely FTSE and DOW using spreadbetting.

I have a strategy that I have now created on NT, but it does not show any results( 0 entries, 0 p/l etc), but I know the strategy should return some results either postive or negative.

I read on here somewhere that I cannot run a strategy against indices, is that correct? Is there a workaround that I can use to achieve what I intend?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

SuperDriveGuy,

Please try a tracker symbol of the indices you want. For example the SPY would be one for SP500.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your quick response.

I don't have access to SPY data, I have NASDAQ level I and AMEX exchange data from eSignal.

Sorry, if this sounds very basic, but I need to test against DJIA and FTSE data as those are the ones I will be trading. Are there any equivalent symbols for those?

Also, is there a workaround of import the data as a stock symbol(i read this on these forums somewhere)?

Thanks,

Comment

SuperDriveGuy,

Unfortunately I would not know what symbol tracks those if any. Maybe some other trader would have an idea.

You can import data via the Tools->Historical Data->Import tool. http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...V6/Import.html
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
          SuperDriveGuy,

Unfortunately I would not know what symbol tracks those if any. Maybe some other trader would have an idea.

You can import data via the Tools->Historical Data->Import tool. http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...V6/Import.html
          Hi Josh,
          Thanks for the tip about importing the data, that did the trick nicely.

I will just have to export from ^FSTE and import into FTSE(same for DJIA etc) everyday, but atleast there is a workaround.

Many thanks,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by DayTradingDEMON, Today, 09:28 AM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
          Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
          9 responses
          0 likes