Unable to run 2 different Sim feeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to run 2 different Sim feeds

I'm trying to run 2 strategies simultaneously in Simulation mode but I'm unable to do so. Strategy #1 is an FX strategy and it uses the Gain demo feed and Strategy #2 is a futures strategy and it uses IQFeed.

It seems that regardless of the order in which I open the 2 data feeds, in Sim mode it appears that Ninja will only associate both strategies w/whatever is the first data feed that is opened.

How do I associate each strategy with its respective data feed in Sim mode?

Thx,
    bluelou

Hello bluelou,

NinjaTrader will retrieve the data always from the first connection.
    Only when the first connection does not support an instrument type (stock, future, forex, index), NinjaTrader will retrieve the data from the second connection.

Since Gain does not support futures data, the futures strategy must be using IQFeed for data.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,
      I disagree with you. Perhaps there's a heretofore unknown bug in the Ninja platform. When I start my FX strategy, in the Strategies tab the account is displayed as Sim101 and the Connection is Gain Demo. When I then start the futures strategy the account is also displayed as Sim 101 with a Connection of Gain Demo. This is clearly not possible since Gain does not offer a futures data feed.

Please try this for yourself to confirm. I believe that this is a problem with the Ninja platform.

-Lou

Comment

Hello Lou,

Could you please clarify why one strategy is limited to forex only and the other strategy to futures.

Comment

Jason,
          I'm not sure I understand the question or how the answer will help you help me but I'll try to respond...

1) I run a unique strategy for each instrument.
          2) Some of my strategies are run on futures and some on spot FX.

3) Since the Ninja backtest tool is totally unrealistic when it comes to trade fills I like to run my strategies in Sim mode b/f running w/real money.

4) If I want to do Sim tests on a futures strategy and an FX strategy simultaneously then I need to run 2 Sim data feeds.

5) It appears that Ninja is only associating the 1st feed that I open as the Sim feed. So, it appears that Ninja will not let me run both a futures and an FX strategy in Sim mode. Either this is or is not a limitation of the Ninja Trader platform. If so, I don't believe that Ninja states this fact anywhere. Please explain.

Thx,
          Lou

Comment

Most strategies are not limited per instrument type, but can be applied on all instrument types.

The information in the connection column in the Strategies-tab is incorrect.

The strategy that runs on a futures instrument is using IQFeed's data even though Gain is reflected in the Strategies-tab. There is no other way, since Zen-Fire Gain does not support futures data.

I have forwarded your findings to Development. Thank you for reporting.

Comment

Hello bluelou,

I have been informed this is as expected, since the sim101 account is associated to the first connection, which would be Gain.

Comment

Jason,
                So, if I understand you correctly, the Sim account can only be associated with the first connection, that this is a limitation of the NinjaTrader platform, and that there are no plans to improve this?

-Lou

Comment

NT7 will allow you trade currencies and futures on the same Sim101 account if connected to GAIN and IQFeed the same time.

Comment

What is the anticipated delivery date for NT7?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                    NT7 will allow you trade currencies and futures on the same Sim101 account if connected to GAIN and IQFeed the same time.

Comment

First public beta within Q2 09 (this quarter). There is no ETA for release as of yet.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
                      118 responses
                      1 like
                      Last Post kevinenergy  
                      Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post briansaul