Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option to show/Hide Indicators

Hi,

I would like an option to quickly toggle on and off a given indicator. Currently, the only way to see "pure" prices on the chart is by manually removing the indicators. However, I would like to keep the indicators. I just want to make them invisible at certain times.

Or to put it in another way. I rarely ever use indicators. But there are times when I find them useful. Hence, I would like to be able to make them visible only at those precious moments.

Is there a way to achieve this in the current version of NT?

Hello saliva,

You can set the color of the indicator to transparent in the Indicator menu.

Unfortunately there is no option available that will toggle the indicators on and off.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by saliva View Post
      Is there a way to achieve this in the current version of NT?
      saliva,

You might try saving a Template (right-click, Templates) with your desired setting. It's about the fastest option currently available to quickly switch back and forth between two setups.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
        Hello saliva,

You can set the color of the indicator to transparent in the Indicator menu.

Unfortunately there is no option available that will toggle the indicators on and off.
        Thanks for the suggestion. However, as I said above, there are times when I do prefer to see the indicator and times when I don't. I don't wan't to change the parameter each time I want to switch between "on/off".

Originally posted by ctrlbrk View Post
        saliva,

You might try saving a Template (right-click, Templates) with your desired setting. It's about the fastest option currently available to quickly switch back and forth between two setups.

Mike
        Currently, that's how I have it set up. I use separate templates for the two functions. But the problem (or apropos "pain in the ass") is that once you change the template, any drawings you might have made in one template will not appear in the other template. If we could simply, say, click on the box to toggle on or off the indicators, life would be so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by saliva View Post
          If we could simply, say, click on the box to toggle on or off the indicators, life would be so much easier.
          Complete agree, have wished for that myself for a long time. That, and the ability to re-order the indicator list without having to manually remove them or edit the XML file.

Mike

Comment

Another request that I've made in the past which seemed to have fallen on deaf ears so far is the ability to draw across different timeframes. For example, I have 5-, 15-, and 30-minute charts opened at all times. When I draw a trendline or S/R on the 5-minute chart, this same line should automatically be duplicated on the other charts. I shouldn't need to redraw the same line.

It appears that this problem arises because the lines that I draw are tied to individual charts. However, this can easily be solved should the lines be anchored to the individual futures contract or to the stock symbol (eg. "ES" or "MSFT"). Hence, when I draw a line in one chart, this line will appear in other charts as long as I'm looking at the same stock ticker or the same futures contract.

Is this so difficult to implement? Isn't it about time?

Comment

Hello,

Your request was logged and submitted to our development team. I am sorry, that is the best we can do. Thank you for your suggestions.
              DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I had this need too - in Tradestation there was a toggle in the active indicator list to suspend the indicator but leave it's settings intact, so you didn't have to delete it, then later add it back and re-enter any parameters you wanted. For the most-frequently used stuff, I edit the code and add an "Enable" parameter with a true/false selection, and when set to false there is an immediate "return;" before any other code is run. Kind of like the TS thing, but not quite... Maybe in V7 it will be addressed a better way.
                Last edited by marketmasher; 04-18-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input marketmasher, the good old 'status on off'. I believe this is on the list for future consideration as well.
                  BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Making an invisible IDataSeries

Just to clarify, so it is impossible to avoid displaying IDataSeries objects involved in calculating an indicator?

I'm using an auxiliary data series D to calculate an indicator X, but I want to plot only X values. (This is because values of D are largely disparate with X and when drawn together it unpleasantly rescales the pane.) I wouldn't like to set D out into a separate indicator though because outside of X it doesn't make any sense and clutters up Indicator namespace.

I also thought what if there's a way to declare my own private IDataSeries object in an indicator class and use it without having to initalize it through Add() method.

Thanks!

Comment

Bill, I'm not sure I follow you - you can for sure just work with a DataSeries object internally for calcs and not display it on the chart, it doesn't have to be a plot / public DataSeries.
                      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Great Bertrand, thank you for the hint. Indeed, DataSeries objects make life so much easier!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                        Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                        7 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB