Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New printer driver (HP) causes Ninja to hang during startup

Hi,

I recently purchased a new printer (HP J6413)
    I installed the latest drivers and software for the printer and it worked just fine with Microsoft Office and other tools I use.
    When I tried to start Ninja I found out it's just hang on the splash screen.
    The Control Center was loaded, but the application was stacked covered by the splash screen.

The splash screen and logs showed that the last thing it was doing was restoring the last workspace, no exception or other visible problem. I eventually had to kill the process.

When I removed the printer driver completely, Ninja worked just fine again. I tried it several times, and I also made sure I am only installing the printer driver itself and not the printer's accompanying software.

I also discovered that when I change the default printer to something else (for example Microsoft Office Document Image Writer), Ninja is able to load on the second attempt, after it hang and I kill the process. Every time I restart the machine it happens again.

I eventually had to remove the printer driver altogether and install it on another computer (which can not run Ninja), but this is not the desired solution.

I tried it with both latest versions of Ninja 6.5.1000.8 and 6.5.1000.9; I have Windows XP with SP3.

Please advice,
    Thanks,
    Eitan

This is a weird one which we never came across before. Unfortunately we would not know how to resolve that issue, since this is some messing between .NET runtime and the HP printer driver. May be goggling would yield some more info...

Thanks for making us aware of that one though.

Comment

Same problem on a clean XP when NT installed after the driver

Thanks for the answer.
      I already googled around and could not find anything.
      I was hoping you would suggest anything or provide some more info about the way Ninja communicate with the printer driver at startup.

I have just experienced the same behavior on a different machine.
      This is a laptop with XP SP3 that was installed from scratch yesterday.
      I installed the printer driver first, and then the latest Ninja.

When Ninja loads up it hangs, I kill the process and from the second time it works well. After I restart it happens again.

It is very easy to reproduce, you can download the printer driver from HP site, you don't even have to own the printer to test it (drivers for HP j6413). This is the wireless printer driver, so it even doesn't have to be connected when testing.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&pro duct=3635397#

Hope Ninja Support will look into it since it's not some voodoo of .Net and the printer driver, it reproduces easily, and it seems that Ninja Trader is doing something with the printer driver at startup or at least it is affected by it.

Regards,
      Eitan
      Last edited by eitankle; 04-08-2009, 07:11 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

NinjaTrader does not do anything with the printer driver. We will look into that issue again as there would be more information available helping us understanding what the problem is.

Comment

Thanks, looking forward to hear from you.

Comment

Latest update from HP solved the problem and now the Ninja Is working properly. It was one of the strangest problems I have ever seen.

Comment

Excellent! Glad it's resolved for you. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Mongo, Today, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post Mongo
              by Mongo

Started by Tim-c, Today, 10:58 AM
              0 responses