New Computer, New MachineID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer, New MachineID

Hello, I just upgraded my computer. Of course now my ninja machineID is different from my old computer. Is there any way for me to change this so that all my indicators that are tied to that old number will work on the new PC?
    Thanks

Hello,

You will need to change the code with in the indicator so it verifies the new ID. Machine IDs are fixed on the PC.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What computer upgrades affect machine ID?

I am considering another hardware upgrade to my computer, I replaced the hard drive recently, and that didn't seem to change the machine ID so I'm not sure what will. I have 2 questions: 1. What types of hardware changes will and will not affect machine ID? 2. How can I keep my existing machine ID on my existing machine after I upgrade it? I bought some indicators and they are licensed to my machne ID and they work fine now, but the vendor went out of business so there's no way to ask them to change the machine ID if I do an upgrade that changes the machine ID, so it's critical to keep the same machine ID I already have. Is there another solution for this situation I haven't thought of?

Comment

Hello Zenith,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader support forum.

Unfortunately, this question is beyond the level of support we are able to offer. I suggest consulting with an IT professional to see what hardware the Machine ID may be pulling from.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. My IT professional said he knows how some Machine IDs are generated because the software vendors describe the method, for example, see this software provider's web page on Machine ID: http://www.mathworks.com/support/sol...a/1-171PI.html "Instructions for finding your Host ID or Machine ID: ========== Windows® (all) ========== For standalone licenses (including the Student version), the Host ID can be either the volume serial number of the C:\ drive (Option 1), or the MAC Address (Physical Address) of the first Ethernet adapter (Option 2)." So I know if I'm using a mathworks software product, I can upgrade the CPU to a faster CPU without changing the machine ID, but he said I can't be sure that's the case with Ninjatrader unless they tell me so. That's actually the upgrade I'm considering, installing a faster CPU. He said this only describes what one software company id using for the machine ID, and there are other options like incorporating the CPU ID into a machine ID, but only Ninjatrader would know what Ninjatrader is using for a Ninjatrader generated machine ID and whether just replacing the CPU would affect it

Comment

Hello Zenith,

Unfortunately, the machine ID is derived from the motherboard and CPU as well.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jason, Thanks for answering my question! While I'm a little disappointed I can't upgrade my CPU without losing my indicators, I'm very pleased that you took the time to answer it as I really needed to know! Thanks again!

Comment

use vmware to run ninja on a virtual machine. Clone the primary virtual machine. Even though the uuid values are different for each machine so they can be uniquely identified, ninja reports the machineid to be the same for both.
                Last edited by cashinvestor; 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM.

Comment

so if I upgrade to windows 7 will I loose my machine ID?

If I'm doing a fresh install of windows and install win7, would the machine ID stay the same? (with same motherboard and CPU, etc?)

Comment

Hi Jason11,

Thank you for your reply.

Your machine ID, which is assigned by Windows based off of hardware components, would remain the same.

Please be aware that Windows 7 is not a supported operating system with the current version of NinjaTrader. As such, if you ran in to any issues, the support we are able to offer would be limited.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Kyle.

If I keep motherboard, CPU, and memory the same I will have exactly the same ID?

What if I change my harddrive? I want a larger drive.

thanks.

Comment

Hi Jason11,

Thank you for your reply.

As I understand it you should keep the same ID. You would want to verify that with an IT professional before taking any actions.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by hazylizard, Today, 08:38 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post hazylizard  
                        Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes