Freezing when loading data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing when loading data

I recently began trading ES. for some reason ninja is having trouble loading 10k vol, and 100k vol charts. I realize it's a lot of data, but even when I try to load it in weekly increments, ninja freezes. I managed to get a months worth of ES 100k vol chart loaded and I saved it in a workspace, but now the workspace won't load. I have a fast computer, and a fast connection...is there something I can do? I can load 10k vol NQ charts all day long with no problems but ES, and especially the 100k vol charts, cause me problems. Thanks.

jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your post.

Make sure you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.9. You can check under Help --> About.
    If not, please download from this link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm

Please use the following link for some performance tips: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Also, check your log tab in the Control Center to see if there are any errors.
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm running the latest software. I tried loading the workspace again and let it sit for 10min or so. When I try to load the data, ninja freezes and then the connection to zen is lost, then it reconnects, then its lost etc. This is all that is in the error log as well.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi Jon,

Who is your data provider?

Try a NEW chart and set the days back to only 10 and see if it loads.

Comment

My provider is zen-fire. It seems to be loading now in weekly increments.

Comment

Hi Jon,

So is your issue resolved, or do some charts still not load?

Comment

Well it was loading haha, but it froze again when I got about 2 weeks of data loaded. First the connection is lost then it just goes to the "Not Responding" state. This only happens when trying to load 100k vol ES charts though. With this VOL size I would like to be able to look at 1 or 2 months of data at one time.

Comment

Also, I'm running ninja via parallels on my mac.

Comment

Hi Jon,

I am not able to reproduce this.

We don't officially support MACs, so there may be an issue here. I suggest searching the Support Forum for other Mac issues to see if other traders were able to resolve those. Below are some common connection issues to troubleshoot:
                  We realize that lost connections can be frustrating. A connection state between NinjaTrader and your broker/market data vendor is not dictated by NinjaTrader. The NinjaTrader application only reports the connection state as it is reported by the API you are connected through. NinjaTrader behaves like a radio receiver in that it receives signals from the connected server. If the signals are not coming through, the underlying broker/market data vendor API reports this to the NinjaTrader application which in turn reports this back to you. Once a loss of connection is reported, NinjaTrader or the underlying API wil continuously try to re-establish a connection.
                  Common reasons that contribute to connection stability are:
                  • ISP issues
                  • Hardware firewall changing IP addresses frequently
                  • Dynamic IP addresses changing frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week buy you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, requesting a static IP address may help.
                  • With Windows XP SP2, if you have more than 10 open TCPIP socket connections (10 programs making socket connections through the internet) Windows will randomly shut down some connections
                  • Broker/market data servers may be experiencing temporary downtime
                  • Also try a direct connection if using wireless

Comment

The problem keeps getting worse. Ninja works perfectly when trading and doing anything except loading data. It goes into non-responsive mode and if I leave it for 10-30 min the data usually loads. But thats loading one week at a time. It's taking me hours to load a single months chart of 30k vol ES data. I checked into the common problems and from what I can see I don't have anything wrong with my connection. I reset the DB yesterday, but it didn't help. Is there anything I can do? I've been using ninja for a year on parallels with no problems, this just started recently. thanks.

Comment

Hi Jon,

Perhaps try renaming your database so that NinjaTrader uses a new one:
                      1. Shut Down NinjaTrader
                      2. Go to \Documents\NinjaTrader6.5\db
                      3. Rename the file NinjaTrader.mbd to OldNinjaTrader.mbd

Comment

Thanks. I tried it and it seemed like it was loading, but in the end in froze again

Comment

Hi Jon,

Here are some other issues and things to try:

1.) .NET may be corrupt: Uninstall any instance of the .NET framework from the Windows Control Panel. Then reinstall .NET 2.0 from here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...ationguide.htm

2.) Your connection has an issue:
                          -Remove your connection: Tools --> Account connections --> (your created connection) --> remove.
                          -Repair your database: Tools --> Options --> Misc --> Repair DB.
                          -Restart NinjaTrader and create a new connection using the connection guide: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...tionguides.htm

3.) If the two above fail, I suggest a complete uninstall/reinstall:
                          Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader:
                          1. Close all running applications.
                          2. Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs.
                          3. From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 6.5 and click Remove.
                          4. Then manually delete the folder "NinjaTrader 6.5" located under Start --> My Documents.
                          5. Delete any NinjaTrader installation files. This can be done by going to Start --> My Computer --> Search button --> search for (NinjaTrader*) --> select Local C Disk and then press search.
                          6. Then you will need to clear your internet browser cache and history. You will clear this from within your internet browser (with IE, Tools-->Options, delete cookies and files, clear history).
                          7. Reboot your machine.
                          8. Once these steps are completed, download NT6.5 from the link below: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm

Comment

I deleted everything, re-installed and it appears to be working! Thanks a million for the help, I was lost.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by CommonWhale, Today, 09:55 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
                            Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Gerik