Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Server Running NinjaScript?

Hi:

In order to run a 1 minute bar strategy, I was wondering if there are "server hosting centers??" that could run my NT script. (Better connectivity, better default practices, etc). Does anyone know if that is plausible and/or practical or even adviseable?
    Last edited by CRCatNinja; 04-15-2009, 08:35 PM.

Hi CRCatNinja, you could run NinjaTrader with your custom strategy script on a dedicated server, but you want to keep in mind you would need be around to manage things when disconnects occur or the strategy looses syncronization. So most likely you would be better off by managing it from your office.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Hi CRCatNinja, you could run NinjaTrader with your custom strategy script on a dedicated server, but you want to keep in mind you would need be around to manage things when disconnects occur or the strategy looses syncronization. So most likely you would be better off by managing it from your office.
      Bertrand,

When you host the platform in a remote dedicated server and trade automatically from there, with the platform runing 24/5, so that the tick data remains accurate and the server service guarantees conectivity due to their redundancies and reliability, I do not see why disconects would be a problem. I thought the reason to rent and host in a VPS is to avoid this problem.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
      sourcem

Comment

Well,

Ninja is not exactly very stable to start with - if you do a lot of things strategy wise, you may run into problems (see all the threads about memory issues etc.). It iwll surive a trading day or two normally, but it is not something to put on a server and "just let run for months".

Same with connectibvitiy. Depending on your Broker you may have problems here. I have none (Zen-Fire), but IB for example to my knowledge disconnects prople once per day.

That said, if you remote desktop into the server and keep it under control, I see no reason not to. At least:
        * You wont have problems with your local internet connection going down. Ok, you loose desktop - so what.
        * Your local power is of no concern.
        * Connectivity speeds are most likely a lot faster. Especially if you are not on a DSL or equivalent (as a lot still are).

Just make sure to make regular backups (as always) and things should be ok. I think of doing the same, just with my own VPS. Would definitely give some automatic algoy a speed edge of about 50ms

Comment

Originally posted by NetTecture View Post
          Well,

Ninja is not exactly very stable to start with - if you do a lot of things strategy wise, you may run into problems (see all the threads about memory issues etc.). It iwll surive a trading day or two normally, but it is not something to put on a server and "just let run for months".

Same with connectibvitiy. Depending on your Broker you may have problems here. I have none (Zen-Fire), but IB for example to my knowledge disconnects prople once per day.

That said, if you remote desktop into the server and keep it under control, I see no reason not to. At least:
          * You wont have problems with your local internet connection going down. Ok, you loose desktop - so what.
          * Your local power is of no concern.
          * Connectivity speeds are most likely a lot faster. Especially if you are not on a DSL or equivalent (as a lot still are).

Just make sure to make regular backups (as always) and things should be ok. I think of doing the same, just with my own VPS. Would definitely give some automatic algoy a speed edge of about 50ms
          Thank you, NetTecture,

Since my trading period is only for a few hours a day, th strtategy is not that active, maybe only 2 or 3 trades a day average.

This server would be just a trading computer with nothing else on it. The only reason for runing it 24/5 is to make sure the tick data is continuous and accurate.

When you said backup regularly, exactly which items were you thinking of backing up?

Thanks,
          sourcem

Comment

Well, I am in a more or less similar situation. Not using a VPS yet for trading. I just reset Ninja once per day an hour before trading starts. It is not that bad, just not... able to run for ages.

Back up everything. You can start with the Ninja backup function (File, Utilities). You may make a complete backup of the image, so that in catastropy issues the vps can just be restarted. Depends a lot on your provider... And your own needs.

Comment

Thanks NetTecture...

sourcm, my point was simply running this setup on a VPS should not be considered a 'fire and forget' solution, so in case of broker server issues, rejected orders and / or synching issues you would still be quickly around to step in as needed.
              BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

And that is the most important thing.

Lets ignore ninja, broker etc.

What about a failure of the VBPS? It is not like they do NOT happen.

Then someone needs to get up from his butt and call the broker to close all positions and orders

So, FORGET about not watching this system...

I had 0 downtime in the last 6 months in my hosting center (ever since we moved there), and I trust it because it is a top notch center. But even then, I have seen... the internet go mostly down thanks to a stupid router issue somewhere.

Comment

I have tried several VPS (Virtual, not Dedicated). I have requested Windows Server 2003 32 bit with minimum 2GB RAM. I typically pay in the area of $40 per month.

Every one has been (in my opinion) very slow! Screen refreshes are line by line, disconnects frequently. The biggest problem is speed (at least what I see on screen). Is that normal? I have NOTHING but Ninja Trader running on these servers.

WHY does it appear SO SLOW! I am thinking that $40 per month can be better allocated in a different area (hi speed FIOS, etc).

Anyone with server experience that has input?

Comment

Yeah.

Most likely....

...you did not really have that RAM because RAM was overallocated. I personally use Hyper-V for virtualization, which does not allow that.
                    ...IO sucked, becasue the disc system was overlaoded. Not a likely culprit here, though.
                    ...There was simply not enough CPU available. Imagine what happens if many people have CPU intensive applications - and Ninja is quite so at times. The VPS server overloads.

Economy of scale problem, most likely.

And - how did you connect? Do NOT use anything but RDP Remote Desktop is pretty performant Virtualization platform integrated systems are NOT - they are screen capture per definition. Good to go into BIOS and installs, but once the OS is up, use more specialized tools.

Comment

Any suggestions/experiences for server hosting centers
                      in order to have a reliable electric power/ internet around the clock,

Thanks

Comment

No, sorry. I have half a rack in a high end center in germany for my servers.

Space is dime a dozen. Seriously. Lots of good data centers around. Just do some googling and preferably look for some close to you.

Comment

Running on a server

I started running NT on a server about three weeks ago. I am using it to test trading strategies and also to more seamlessly collect market data which I can then download to my development pc for replay testing. Knock on wood but so far I haven't had any shutdown problems or anything like that, and I find that my strategies are running very well. Again, I am only sim trading on the server for now, but so far it looks good and I am pleased with its performance. I disconnect NT from the market once per day, (usually after 9 PM EDT) so that I can get the days data suitably bundled into a day's worth of market data. I record the data for the five e-mini contracts. I backup NT once per week, on the weekend. I've only shut the server down twice since I started and both of those times it was because an update from MSoft required a reboot. If I move to an automated strategy, I am likely to run it on the server.
                          DaveN

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post jaybedreamin  
                          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                          6 responses
                          0 likes