zigzag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zigzag

Hi, I am using zigzag inside an automated strategy to identify ABC patterns where in a long trade A[High] B[Low] C[Higher high] - once in a trade I want to use C as my stop. Unfortunately I dont know how to tell Ninja that once we are in a trade I want it to use the C prior to the trade as my stop and not any 'new' C that it may identify after trade entry. How do I 'anchor' the C prior to the trade as the C to use? TIA

mullum,
    I am not sure if I understand exactly your problem. If you mean that after the C (the higher high) is formed you go short and you want C to be your stop loss then to find the barsago you use:
    c_barsago=ZigZag(DeviationType.Points, 0.5, false).HighBar(0, 1, 100))]);
    and to find the value:
    c_value=ZigZag(................................... ).ZigZagHigh[c_barsago];

In order to "lock" your stop C to the above value you need to use a switch.
    Something like this:

if(initializing your strategy)
    {
    ......;
    ......;
    switch=1;
    }
    else
    switch=2;

if(switch=1 && ......)
    {
    c_barsago=....;
    c_value=...;
    switch=2;
    }

if(switch=2 && ....)
    {
    profitTarget= ...
    stopLoss = c_value;

}

Cheers

Comment

zigzag

Thanks Astra

What I am doing is [in long trade] we identify A[first low] B[High] C[lower low] and we then set buy stop @ B with a stoploss at C.

So regarding your suggestion I only need to find the C value not bars ago - correct? And the I use a switch to lock the C value correct? Thanks very much for your help

Comment

Originally posted by mullum View Post

So regarding your suggestion I only need to find the C value not bars ago - correct?
        No, you need both. You cannot find the C value if you don't have the bars ago. Because in the bars ago you define the instance, in your case 1.

With the ZigZag indicator is very important the timing: In real time, the time the C is formed is after at least a minimum of 2 bars in the opposite direction. You can capture this moment in your code by using: if(peak_barsago>trough_barsago)
        {
        and load here all your targets and stop losses PLUS the switch in this statement.
        }

Comment

zigzag

Thanks Astra - my programming skills are not up to scratch - I have tried but am unable to complete your instructions. I paid someone to write the initial code for me but he wasn't up to the task and now I have 99% completed code and am not sure where to go from here - thx anyway

Comment

Zigzag

Hi Astra

Can you point me in the direction to find info on how to write the correct code for a switch - I cant find it in the NT help files - thanks

Comment

zigzag

[QUOTE...in a long trade A[High] B[Low] C[Higher high] - once in a trade I want to use C as my stop.

I got this wrong in my earlier post

It should read "in a long trade A[Low] B[High] C[lower/lowest Low] and use B as buy entry on a retrace higher

Comment

Zigzag

Astra

Would you have any interest in helping me sort out the code I am looking for? I am happy to pay a fee for your services

thx

Comment

Hi mullum,

Originally posted by mullum View Post
                  Hi Astra

Can you point me in the direction to find info on how to write the correct code for a switch - I cant find it in the NT help files - thanks
                  I meant "switch", the programming technique that is widely used to have control of building blocks visits - in this case "if" statements, because it reseambles the behavior of an ordinary real world (light?) switch. Can be any word you define as such. For example, in the variables section you can define a "switch-technique" as, say, private int tralala=0;

Sorry for the confusion, but I assumed you were aware of it because the zigzag indicator is considered an advance indicator in terms of programming skills and almost always you need a switch-technique to make it work.

Now, I am a trader not a programmer (only over a year experience with C#) . But as at the moment I am developing an indicator that makes use of the zigzag I can be of help if I can. If you wish post the relevant part of your code here (without the details) and see.

Comment

Check also the other zigzag indicator available here:

You can also see how a "switch-technique" is used in this code (defined as "dir").

Cheers

Comment

zizzag

can zigzag be used in market analyzer? for signals?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                      5 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                      Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:13 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB