Loading Data - Saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loading Data - Saving

I've just started NinjaTrader, connected to a datafeed and opened a saved workspace, and I get a pop-up which says "Loading Data" and "Saving".

But there's no indication of what instrument it's trying to load, or how far it got before it hung.

Part of my workspace includes a Market Analyzer with about 20 instuments. I would like to know which one of these is at fault.

I'm not asking for NinjaTrader to debug this problem.

What I want it enough info so I can debug it on my end.

To do this I would like to have these little pop-up messages display a little more data.

For the current error, my theory is that I've messed something up in the saved, historical data, and I'm trying to figure out which historical data to reload, as I think that might fix it. But I can't figure out which one needs to be reloaded (i.e., which instrument did it hang on when trying to load the Market Analyzer).

So, here's my request:

Please add more data to the "Loading Data" (etc) pop-up messages.

Include things like:
    • Instrument name
    • Number of days/bars/whatever that are expected to be loaded
    • How may of these items that have already been loaded (and update this every 5 seconds or so)
    • Or display percent complete
    • Display date/time currently being saved/loaded
    • etc.
    This should also help reduce the number of requests you folks get for tech support because someone is doing something silly and just gets impatient.

P.S. I probably should have posted this under a different forum category, as I'd really like to see a change of this type for all of the pop-ups, not just those that may be specifically related to the Market Analyzer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KBJ; 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM. Reason: Added PS regarding category.

KBJ, thank you for taking the time to voice your suggestions, we appreciate it.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Couldn't agree more...
      Whodathunk that a Real time trading application .. that needs to be responsive ALL THE TIME would have soo many un-cancellable system modal popups like this.

Comment

Guys, although we will change the design of the "progress window" in NT7 (details on first beta), statements below would require some clarification: the progress window is NOT modal. You should be able to click and drive NT even as the progress window is up. It would be a different story if NT would not be responsive, but then this would NOT be related to the "progress window".

Comment

Dierk, thanks for that good news about a better progress window.

Zoltran, I didn't mean to imply that NinjaTrader itself was unresponsive because of the pop-up window.

What I was trying to say was that I wanted to be able to monitor the progress of the "Loading Data" which (normally) occurs simultaneously with other functions.

Perhaps the screen shot that I posted was misleading because it said "Not Responding" (which wasn't what I was trying to address.) The actual error turned out to be an endless/infinite loop in a custom Plot() routine which was being run by the indicator I was testing, and since the indicator was being re-loaded by the Workspace each time I re-started NinjaTrader, it caused me a bit of trouble, but as I originally said, I wasn't looking for NinjaTrader to solve my problem on that.

Comment

Sorry, ... My terminology was wrong about the system modal parts, and I didn't mean to hijack the thread. ..... Just grumbling about NT's quirks such as the persistant and non-cancellable dialogs.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post usazencort  
            Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
            5 responses
            0 likes