Problem with opening application and trying to preserve prior "workspace"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with opening application and trying to preserve prior "workspace"

I have a workspace that I like. My understanding is that when Ninja Trader closes it saves the workspace settings so that the next time the app is opened the workspace is opened as I left it.

The workspace I have is 5 different market analyzers with different timeframes, 5 charts with same timeframes as the market analyzers and all of the windows (10 total) with the same link color.

When NT is restarted, it starts to load data and then just hangs with a dialog box that says "loading data..." and never goes farther. I have to kill the app, restart it and then quickly kill windows before it gets into the hang situation. Then, load the windows manually which is time consuming. Two questions/issues:

1) Is this a bug or do I need to load the windows manually each app instance?

2) When the app is started, is there a way for it to make the data connection automatically before the windows/charts start to load ?

3) This maybe should go under a different topic but it's related to saving of a workspace and restarting it. Some of the indicators I'm developing need X # of bars before it can calculate the indicator. When I create the charts by hand and specify the # of days as appropriate things work fine when switching from stock to stock. But, when the workspace loads and I switch to different stocks some indicators can't be calculated because not enough data exists (in other words it seems like the setting used when the chart was created initially is not saved and reused when the application is restarted)

Also, in terms of the type of machine I'm using; I'm running on a new machine with Windows XP Professional (all service packs, security patches installed), 2GB RAM and a 2.66Ghz Duo Core Intel processor with Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) hard drives. It's a FAST machine although I will likely upgrade it to 4GB RAM as the stuff I'm trying to do with Ninja Trader takes a fair amount of memory.

imported post

1) Not sure I understood the situation you experienced correctly, but I suppose you experience NT hanging with the "Data loading" running. Meaning although you give NT enough time (please try 2-3 minutes) load ing the data from harddrive, NT never will come back. Is this correct?

If so, then please
    - send your workspace file <my documents>\NinjaTrader6\workspaces\Default.xml
    - your zipped data base <my documents>\NinjaTrader6\db\NinjaTrader.mdb
    to "dierk AT ninjatrader DOT com" and refer to this post.

In case your chart hold custom indicators, I would need those as well

2) Sorry, this is not supported right now.

3) Could you please describe a detaield scenario based on DB you're going to send me in (1).

Thanks

Comment

imported post

By chance do you have an FTP account I can FTP the compacted DB to? My email system won't handle a file that large.

Also, in terms of the custom indicators are those kept confidential as what I'm working on is fairly proprietary? I do want to send them as I'd like to get this working, just need to make sure they won't be used/shared.

Thanks

Comment

imported post

- your indicators won't be shared to anybody outside the NT dev team
        - please try Help->Mail to support to mail your DB. If your DB exceeds a certain size, then it's uploaded to our FTP server by default

Comment

imported post

In an effort to make things easier to debug/duplicate, I created a chart with 5 simple moving averages. And, 5 market analyzer windows with the same moving averages (each market analyzer window has a different time frame). Concept of what I'm doing here is similar to what I'm doing with custom indicators, just trying to remove some of the variables of my custom indicators...

Closed Ninja Trader app so the workspace would get saved. When I reopen Ninja Trader I now get a program crash every single time. The chart loads, the 5 market analyzer windows open and data starts to load but then I get the program crash.

Rebooted PC, started NT app and got program crash again.

I have uploaded the workspace default.xml file as well as the zipped database via the Help->Support link. Please let me know what I should do to resolve the program crash and then I'll see if I can duplicate the originally reported problem using simpler charts/simpler market analyzer windows.

Thanks

Comment

imported post

Sent you PM.

Comment

imported post

I had resolved the corrupted DB problem before I got your PM. I now am back to the original problem. Here are the steps I used to create the hanging "Loading data..." problem:

1) Create 3 market analyzer windows. Each with 5 columns (SMA 1000, SMA 500, SMA 200, SMA 50, SMA 20). Each column in each market analyzer window has the same timeframe (so 1 market analyzer window is set to all weekly, 1 to all daily and 1 to all hourly)

2) Create 3 chart windows. Only indicators used are SMA 1000, SMA 500, SMA 200, SMA 50, SMA 20.

3) Linked all windows together with same link color

4) In each market analyzer window loaded the Dow 30 default instrument list

5) Closed the NT application

6) Made sure NinjaTrader was gone in Task Manager and restarted NT 6, beta 10. Chart windows created OK, 3 market analyzer windows got created, some rows in each market analyzer window got populated with data and then it gets stuck at "Loading data..." and never proceeds past that point.

Also, note that I understand that an automatic connection upon application start is not planned. But, this basically means that all the windows have to get loaded in a disconnected state, then I have to manually go in an get the data connection working which then needs to reload all the windows with up to date again. It seems like having the data connection start first would avoid the double loading of data that currently has to occur.

Thanks again for your assistance in this. I am having other problems similar to this as I try to run live charts/live market analyzer windows during the day so maybe a fix to this will help those issues as well.

Comment

imported post

Sent you PM

Comment

imported post

It appears this issue has been fixed in beta 11. I am going to do some further testing as this one has been a bit odd. I will let you know if I have any difficulties.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Pattontje, Yesterday, 02:10 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Pattontje  
                  Started by flybuzz, 04-21-2024, 04:07 PM
                  17 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post TradingLoss