So, when can we expect v7 beta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, when can we expect v7 beta?

I am scheduled to start trading with Mirus Futures in about 2 weeks And dont really want to get into Ninja 6.5 - based on a plenthora of not too good experiences in the past

So How long will I have to play with the not for pay version of 6.5 (i.e. no live trading) until I can get my hands on a beta of 7.0?

Nothing has changed in that regard: First public beta of NT7 is scheduled for end of Q2 09. However, we never recommend using beta for live trading. Unfortunately there is no ETA yet on when first non-beta release would be available yet.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      Nothing has changed in that regard: First public beta of NT7 is scheduled for end of Q2 09. However, we never recommend using beta for live trading.
      So we can count down for a maximum of one month then Thanks.

Comment

Not sure about your "one month" math, but reviewing the beta periods of past NinjaTrader versions (please see the relevant section in help guide) will provide you an estimate on how long beta phases usually go.

Comment

Not sure about your "one month" math, but reviewing the beta periods of past NinjaTrader versions (please see the relevant section in help guide) will provide you an estimate on how long beta phases usually go.
          Well, remember I was not saying "beta finished", but count to beta start.

And one month is easy, math wise.

It is now the last day of Mai. Q2 ends last day of June, which is - in pretty exactly one month.

So, according to your statement we should have access to a public version of N7 in beta quality in a maximum of exactly one month, otherwise... the Q2 timeline did not hold.

Comment

Please review my post below: We do not recommend using a beta for live trading (which I understand is what you wanted to do: "to start trading with Mirus Futures in about 2 weeks").

Comment

Please review my post below: We do not recommend using a beta for live trading (which I understand is what you wanted to do).
              Well, technically... I will have about 1-2 months of preparation before entering a real trade ANYWAY, so the recommendation sort of does not hit me

I need to get used and comfortable with the platform for discretionary trading (so it is "life trading" with the sim account for some weeks), so I dont make stupid errors when the time comes.

And for automated stuff a lot of things need to be programmed.

I am more eager to...
              * Start the journey
              * Decide whether to go this way or do myself.

NT 6.5 does not hit me in the "professional and well designed" area good enough to be bearable, so my hopes go with all the good things supposedly coming with NT7.

Life trading is still a little away anyway

Comment

Not sure what issues you have in mind as you state NT6.5 would not hit in the "professional and well designed area" for your discretionary trading. May be you can elaborate a bit so we better understand what actually holds you off using NR6.5 for your discretionary trading preparation.

Comment

Not sure what issues you have in mind as you state NT6.5 would not hit in the "professional and well designed area" for your discretionary trading. May be you can elaborate a bit so we better understand what actually holds you off using NR6.5 for your discretionary trading preparation.
                  Well, NT6.5 is holding me back in MANY areas...

...without going into the details, it starts with being so well designed it can not be installed on a computer with a redirected documents folder, as the installer crashes. That alone is a show-stopper. Obviously noone ever tested that.

Continuing with the joy of having it freeze regularly.

Single threaded, bad database storage technology internally, all things you supposedly fix soonish.

A C# integration that makes me - hm - want you to use another langauge (because I love C#), with no support provided for developing strategies in Visual Studio.

My hope is with 7. I really hope a lot of things get fixed up there

Comment

NT 6.5 has many problems.

However, C# is not one of them.

It may be true that the implementation of .NET is out of date but it is still well beyond what the competition offers. And NT7 is already confirmed to be built on .NET 3.5, bringing further enhancement.

So, while I agree with you on many of your complaints about NT 6.5 and I've certainly voiced my displeasure with more than a few things... I completely disagree with the C# statement and feel the need to come to the Ninja team's defense.

Have a good weekend!
                    Mike

Comment

Unfortunately you did not provide details on what actually stops you using NT for your discretionary trading.

Anyway:
                      - your statement about NT being single threaded is incorrect. NT6.5 is multi threaded, however there are more areas where multi-threading could be applied which we're doing with NT7
                      - I don't follow your statement "with a redirected documents folder, as the installer crashes". The installer allows to configure the installation folder for program files (which should not be touched/changed accordingly Windows guidelines). The <my documents> folder holds your personal data(again, according windows guidelines) and is not configurable by the installer, thus the installer could not crash on it.
                      - not sure what you mean by "database storage internally"
                      - could you please provide scenarios where NT froze on you as you traded discretionary? Thanks

Comment

You get something REALLY wrong here

I am absolutly not dissatisfied by NT 6.5 being C# - in general, I think it is a perfect langauge for that. I am absolutly displeased by what NT 6.5 DOES in it's system development WITH C#. In an attempt to be as easy to use as possibly, I think the possibilities of the .NET Framework are basically destroyed, mostly. Examples?

* No proper development environment. Give me back my breakpoints, source control etc. And add some things (like a time based breakpoint - allow me to mark a bar, rerun the strategy and get me into the debugger once THAT BAR is being executed).
                        * No way to have precompiled strategies in dll's. In fact, no way to acutally use a "proper" .net development environment.
                        * No way to actually use obect orientation - thanks to a "one class" approach. Including no supported approach to use tool libraries (i.e. libraries with simply parts of strategies that may be usefull).

I wish NT would cater a lot more towards a more professional oriented developer.

I really hope NT 7 goes a longer way towards being more powerfull

But I am by no means complaining about the use of C# in general. It is a wonderfull langauge, on top of a really good runtime.

Comment

- I don't follow your statement "with a redirected documents folder, as the installer crashes". The installer allows to configure the installation folder for program files (which should not be touched/changed accordingly Windows guidelines). The <my documents> folder holds your personal data(again, according windows guidelines) and is not configurable by the installer, thus the installer could not crash on it.
                          Try installing on a computer with a redirected documents folder.

Folder redirection for personal folders to network locations is a standard feature provided and exposed by group policies. Basically an admin can say "that guys personal data goes on the following network location".

If you try installing NT 6.5 on a computer in an account with redirected folders (which is standard on all my computers so personal data is centrally stored on a location that is backed up and available from all computers that I work on), the installer blows. It is mostly through the install, and uninstallation is also not possible anymore - the installer blows. Point. I can provide you with a screenshot. I am upgrading one of my computers to WIndows 7 anyway the next days, then I can blow it up by installing Ninja Trader 6.5 on it to make a screenshot

Whatever program you call in there just can not handle setup in a path that starts with "\\" - as it is as the documents folder is on a network share. And as I prefer to have my data on a "safe" location (i.e. workstaiotns run with one disc, all user data is stored on a server).

Note that folder redirection is not an "in the installer" feature, it is a setup / configuration one sets up for the user account. Through group policies. NT 6.5 handles that badly.

I suggest reading:

- not sure what you mean by "database storage internally"
                          Your internal usage of - hm - did I get that right and it is the jet-engine, retired... hm... around... many years ago? For beng - hm - known to - hm - have issues I did read some comments here that it will be replaced with SQL Server embedded.

could you please provide scenarios where NT froze on you as you traded discretionary? Thanks
                          Well, try letting it run with a dozen strategies for some days... freezes. Memory issues are very well documented - don't tell me YOU don't know them. Now, this is not "discretionary", but it makes it unusable, too. I dont like running on potentially unstable software while in risky positions. Which means in order to be stable in general, I have to regularly restart. THat is so - hm - 1995 Btw., tihe integration strategy/discretionary just is terrible - one has really to be carefull not to get in the way of autoamted trades when doing discretionary trading. But then, this is a tricky area And I can live with that - enough markets to split them.

Comment

Unfortunately folder redirection is not on the list of supported features. NT6.5 is installed by the standard Microsoft installer MSI.
                            May be this information is of value for your endeavor: http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=2441

On C#:
                            - you can integrate a pre-compiled assembly by right click in NS editor->References
                            - we currently don't have any plans to provide a different development environment than the one we're having with NT6.5 right now
                            - however, users managed to use VisualStudio as development environment (not officially supported though)
                            - the documentation holds info on how to debug NinjaScript using VisualStudio http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ualStudio.html

Comment

- the documentation holds info on how to debug NinjaScript using VisualStudio http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ualStudio.html
                              And the VisualStudio debugging works quite nicely for strategies as well as for indicators.

One thing that I've noticed that should be noted in the above referenced documentation (before step #3), is that after first attaching VisualStudio to NinjaTrader, you won't be able to set breakpoints until after something has been actually been compiled (and this compile step needs to be redone each time NinjaTrader or VisualStudio is restarted.)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by geotrades1, Today, 10:02 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by ender_wiggum, Today, 09:50 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby