So, when can we expect v7 beta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Thank you. I will send this to the appropriate people and they will consider your change.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      Unfortunately folder redirection is not on the list of supported features. NT6.5 is installed by the standard Microsoft installer MSI.
      May be this information is of value for your endeavor: http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=2441

On C#:
      - you can integrate a pre-compiled assembly by right click in NS editor->References
      - we currently don't have any plans to provide a different development environment than the one we're having with NT6.5 right now
      - however, users managed to use VisualStudio as development environment (not officially supported though)
      - the documentation holds info on how to debug NinjaScript using VisualStudio http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ualStudio.html
      Le's go into it at the start. The link for folder redirection is crap. Sorry.

* It is a standard windows feature, you are supposed to deal with it. Not the user. This is exactly what I meant when I said it is not up to my standard.
      * The Information provided is wrong, the behavior was changed with .NET 3.5 SP1 because it made no sense to start with (and MS did realize). More info on that is in: http://blogs.msdn.com/vancem/archive...ork-share.aspx
      * Part of the problem if obviously that you do have a custom action in the MSI installer that simply is written in such a way that it breaks. Point. That is bad programming. Professional software written for a professional area (and we can all not really argue that you are dealing in a sensitive area) should follow the guidelines set forth for the operating system. You should be good enough to get a wíndows compatibility logo. Guess what - proper installer / uninstaller actions and support for redirected folders are on the list for that.
      * Even if that would be a security issue, your installer should take care of that. What is the most idiotic part here is not even that it does not work, but that it does not finish install AND BLOCKS UNINSTALL. This is buggy code. Fix it, don't argue about not being supported. If one needs to change security settings, then by god show a warning at the end, but make sure your custom action DOES NOT CRASH.

For Visual Studio - well, the main problem I have with that is that it is not supported. Now, I am willing to risk working with beta software for some time, but I am not willing to work with a non-supported setup for development If NT7 is good enough in all other regards, though, and someone can document how to change a config to another computer (so I do not need to install Visual Studio in my real trading computer) I may give it a try.

Too bad, btw., that you do not base NT on MEF - would be a perfect application for that

Comment

>> Part of the problem if obviously that you do have a custom action in the MSI installer that simply is written in such a way that it breaks
        Your statement is incorrect. There is no custom action in the installer. It's all standard MSI. Please contact Microsoft if you feel MSI is not working as it should.

The link you provided suggests that Microsoft fixed a security policy issue with .NET 3.5 SP1. Thus, it might make sense if you retried your endeavor with NT7 which is based on .NET 3.5.

Also, please see my post below: nothing will change with NT7 in regards to VisualStudio support/usage.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
          >> Part of the problem if obviously that you do have a custom action in the MSI installer that simply is written in such a way that it breaks
          Your statement is incorrect. There is no custom action in the installer. It's all standard MSI. Please contact Microsoft if you feel MSI is not working as it should.

The link you provided suggests that Microsoft fixed a security policy issue with .NET 3.5 SP1. Thus, it might make sense if you retried your endeavor with NT7 which is based on .NET 3.5.

Also, please see my post below: nothing will change with NT7 in regards to VisualStudio support/usage.
          Well, I have some good news. I can confirm that it works now with NT 6.5 (install that is, with folder redirection). I had last tried with build 9, now I downloaded and tried build 10 - and it does not crash anymore. At least that was fixed.

On other hands, as I said originally... I look forward for the NT7 beta to come out. I see little sense in even trying to put too much work in 6.5, especially given the time issues at hand (i.e. me having to feel comfortable and moving quite a number of things over to it - which the get retired in favour of NT7).

Last point - any significant changes in the instrument manager? I Mean, like... it hooking up to a web service of yours and automatically pulling in and maintaining all symbols?

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. The installer was not changed since NT6.5.1000.1 (> 12 months).

We will provide details on NT7 as we roll first public beta.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post love2code2trade  
            Started by funk10101, Today, 09:43 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post funk10101