wireless connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless connection

I know it is not recommended to use any wireless devices, however, I may be unable to connect any other way for awhile. I'm considering Verizon wireless broadband (5 GB per month- download). It would only be 1-3 hours per day. Do you think I would go over the 5 GB per month? Is this a viable option or is it an absolute no-no?

Probably an excellent *backup* network provider, as it doesn't depend on any wiring in your house or trading room or street or .... But it might be a little pricey/laggy for full time.

Not sure anyone can quantify if NT will go over 5Gig .. Would depend on how much historical data you pull back, and how many instruments you track at a time, and if you're using tick/volume charts vs minute charts. But 5 Gig is a LOT of data ...You are propbably OK if you don't download much ..ie keep your torrents and usenet turned off !!

Comment

I took a quick look at my firewall, the Ninja application pulled less than 100MB of data yesterday, it might have even been for two days I can't remember how long I had Ninja open. That's monitoring several instruments.

So you are probably totally fine with 5GB, but I recommend you install something to keep an eye on it, the overage charges are likely to be killer.

Mike

Comment

Wireless connection

Thanks for your replies. I know they beat you up if you go over 5 GB, and I'll need to keep a close watch on that. Hopefully the lag time isn't too great. I will only be running 1 instrument and a 5 or 10 minute chart. Really don't want to go this route, but for now it's the only option I know of. Cheers!

Comment

Doug14, How well does the wireless broadband work?

Doug14, How well does the wireless broadband work? Have you actually tried it yet?

I am also considering using wireless broadband next winter for a few months when I go to Florida to get out of the snow...

Thanks,
          Charlie

Comment

Charlie,

No, I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to within the next three weeks and will let you know how it works. I am still doing some homework on what provider I will go with. I did chat very briefly with a guy that uses Verizon wireless to trade Forex. Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to to get specifics.

Comment

Wireless connection

I tried my first wireless today. Went with Verizon. Had no problems (no loss of connection and didn't notice any slow down).
              According to the VZA Manager, I used 3.3 MB or 4.5 MB for 1 hr. 40 min. Not sure which one is accurate, but either way, that is nothing. So, 5 GB per month will not be a problem. However, I will know more after some time. I have 30 days to cancel if I don't think this will work. If it works fine and the usage is that small, I'll change to the cheaper plan.

Comment

Thanks for reporting back your experiences !!

Comment

Originally posted by DOUG14 View Post
                  I know it is not recommended to use any wireless devices, however, I may be unable to connect any other way for awhile. I'm considering Verizon wireless broadband (5 GB per month- download). It would only be 1-3 hours per day. Do you think I would go over the 5 GB per month? Is this a viable option or is it an absolute no-no?
                  Think very, very, very hard about the option of getting a hosted machine that will actually be running NinjaTrader, and would be connected via land line. You can then use your wireless broadband to connect to your hosted machine via remote desktop connection.

Major advantages:

- bandwidth usage will drop precipitiously.
                  - much greater reliability, even if there's connection loss and/or a solar flare, you don't have to worry about NT losing connection, lost ticks, etc.

Only disadvantage: might slow things down by a half second... only an issue if you're a reflex trader.

I use AT&T Wireless as a backup connection to my hosted server, just in case I lose my land connection for any reason.

Comment

Wireless connection

I had wondered if that would be a way to go. I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit at home and XP on my laptop. I have done a little bit of research on ways to do this but haven't tried anything yet. I'm not sure which is the best way to try this. If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks.

Comment

I had wondered if that would be a way to go. I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit at home and XP on my laptop. I have done a little bit of research on ways to do this but haven't tried anything yet. I'm not sure which is the best way to try this. If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks.
                      Not sure how to setup Vista Home Premium for terminal services.. not sure if it's possible. But you can always get something like LogMeIn or VNC... that would be a perfectly workable solution.

Alternatively, I use a hosted machine from softlayer.com (and there are a thousand other providers)... you can even look into Amazon EC2's machines. I run Windows Server 2003, which is intended to be used as terminal server. I can use remote desktop connection from my XP-based laptop to login, and get performance close to being in front of the screen.

Comment

Wireless connection

Thanks for the suggestion and help. Went with LogMeIn and it works great.

Comment

Just thought I’d give an update. I only lost my connection a few times the first two days with LogMeIn, but last Thursday was worse and today was terrible. Plus, there seemed to be quite a bit of latency issues. It was very annoying and it took several attempts to log off of NT. I sent a request to their support. Said I’ll get a response in 1 - 2 days. May have to try another company.

Comment

Just thought I’d give an update. I only lost my connection a few times the first two days with LogMeIn, but last Thursday was worse and today was terrible. Plus, there seemed to be quite a bit of latency issues. It was very annoying and it took several attempts to log off of NT. I sent a request to their support. Said I’ll get a response in 1 - 2 days. May have to try another company.
                            I've used LogMeIn, and my experience is also less than spectacular.

I'd strongly suggest you look into Windows built-in Remote Desktop Connection. It requires Windows Terminal Services on the machine you're trying to log into, but it's worthwhile.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                            24 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post spwizard  
                            Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Max238