NT6.5 usage of multiple-core systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT6.5 usage of multiple-core systems

After repeatedly being told by the NT team that my test system was underpowered (and thus allegedly was causing a lot of the crashes/irregularities I experienced) I decided to make a long term investment in a brand spanking new Apple quad-core Nehalem Pro system. It's running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I added 6GB of RAM. It's one of the fastest and best architected systems you can get as of right now.

To my disappointment the speed increase I experience compared with an old single core lappy with 2GB of RAM is rather marginal. Here's a screen grab of the taskmanager's performance tab during an optimization run:

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

As you can see only 1/4 of the virtual cores are being used - a run that could be completed in 15 minutes is still taking one hour. I was hoping for a bit more multi-threading here but it seems that my box is now way ahead of what NT6.5 can handle. Unless NT7 is able to address at least half of my virtual cores I just pissed away a lot of money on hardware for nothing.

I have tested a few native 64bit apps - mainly Photoshop CS4 - and it's fu..ing screaming - I go way back and remember using Photoshop 1.0 and I simply can't believe how fast this thing is. So, my message to the NT team is this: You better start optimization NT7 for 64bit multi-core systems otherwise you might have to deal with a lot of unhappy campers who are seeing 75% of their processing power being ignored.

Hello,

64 bits are not supported at all with NT6.5, which may be causing the issue:

Details on NT7 have not been released yet.

NinjaTrader is a MS Windows based application and does not support the Mac OS natively however, it can be run within a Mac environment through one of the following virtualization applications:
    • Parallels Desktop for Mac
    • VMware Fusion
    • Apple Boot Camp
    Although we do not guarantee that NinjaTrader will run as designed, we have run in-house tests on the above listed applications and have not run into any known issues. However this may be contributing to the issue.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Useless!!

Okay, this response was completely useless and reads like a PR cover-your-ass release.

First up I already mentioned that I'm running Windows 7 - so I have no idea why you are wasting time explaining Bootcamp to me.

Second - in previous threads Josh was very clear about NT7 supporting multi- threading in 64bit Windows, so either this has been abandoned or you don't know your own product's road map - either case is equally disturbing.

NT7 has been dangled like a carrot for over a year now and every time I touch base about it the story changes and the release date gets pushed back. There isn't even a public beta yet and the Q209 release is now very doubtful. This on top of myriad of unfixed bugs in NT6.5 I might add.

One by one you are alienating your userbase - and useless responses like these only accelerate the process - I for one just pissed away thousands of Dollars on hardware that will most likely be only fractionally used for months or even years - not happy and that's an understatement.

Comment

We feel your frustrations. To the point:

- We intend to natively support 64-bit in NT7 but this will be limited support in that some of our broker/market data API providers do not yet support 64-bit
        - NinjaTrader 6.5 is already muli-threaded but I believe you mean will NT7 support multiple cores, the answer to this is yes in the areas of system start up and strategy backtesting/optimization
        - Please send me a private message attention to Ray at our support email address, I will communicate with you further this way
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,
          I've got a largely underutilised 8 core machine w/ loads of RAM (14GB). Would it be possible to get any indication as to who those "64-bit compatible" data providers and brokers are?

Thanks

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post

- We intend to natively support 64-bit in NT7 but this will be limited support in that some of our broker/market data API providers do not yet support 64-bit
          - NinjaTrader 6.5 is already muli-threaded but I believe you mean will NT7 support multiple cores, the answer to this is yes in the areas of system start up and strategy backtesting/optimization
          - Please send me a private message attention to Ray at our support email address, I will communicate with you further this way

Comment

Originally posted by klassej View Post
            Hi,
            I've got a largely underutilised 8 core machine w/ loads of RAM (14GB). Would it be possible to get any indication as to who those "64-bit compatible" data providers and brokers are?

Thanks
            See this thread.

Post #94

Comment

Why is this conversation going offline? Unfortunately, I'm in the exact same situation and I'm sure lots of others also. I share the exact same frustration and exasperation about NT6.5 and NT's refusal to commit and communicate clearly about version 7.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post

Comment

Originally posted by TraderEyal View Post
                Why is this conversation going offline? Unfortunately, I'm in the exact same situation and I'm sure lots of others also. I share the exact same frustration and exasperation about NT6.5 and NT's refusal to commit and communicate clearly about version 7.
                Since I have something I wish to discuss with this person on a personal note. Nothing to do with this thread. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post alifarahani  
                Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                1 response
                0 likes