Different data sources for different symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different data sources for different symbols

I use Esignal as my primary market data source and IB as my broker. I've decided I want to put up some forex charts, but I want to use IB's data for this since different data providers are likely to have different Forex quotes. Also, I don't want to pay extra for Esignal forex data when IB provides the level of service that I need.

According to the Mulitple Connections page in the help guide:

Whenever you request data for a particular market, NinjaTrader will request data from the eSignal connection first and then your broker connection second if a market data request fails from eSignal.

I interpret this to mean that NT will first query Esignal, and when this fails (because I haven't subscribed to Esignal forex data) it should switch over to IB. Instead, I just get "Error on loading chart data: you are not entitled for this service" and NT aborts the request process, rather than trying to request the data from IB.

Is this expected behavior? Am I doing something wrong or is what I'm trying to do not possible?

Originally posted by Specterx View Post
    I use Esignal as my primary market data source and IB as my broker. I've decided I want to put up some forex charts, but I want to use IB's data for this since different data providers are likely to have different Forex quotes. Also, I don't want to pay extra for Esignal forex data when IB provides the level of service that I need.

According to the Mulitple Connections page in the help guide:

Whenever you request data for a particular market, NinjaTrader will request data from the eSignal connection first and then your broker connection second if a market data request fails from eSignal.

I interpret this to mean that NT will first query Esignal, and when this fails (because I haven't subscribed to Esignal forex data) it should switch over to IB. Instead, I just get "Error on loading chart data: you are not entitled for this service" and NT aborts the request process, rather than trying to request the data from IB.

Is this expected behavior? Am I doing something wrong or is what I'm trying to do not possible?
    Hello Specterx,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, your understanding of mutliple connections is correct.

Please attempt to connect to only IB and verify you do not receive this error when opening a chart.

I look forward to assiting you with this issue.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing and I can't make it work either. I want to get forex data (i.e. EURUSD) from IB, other data (i.e. ES) from eSignal.

I've blanked out the EURUSD symbol for eSignal in the Instrument manager.

If I connect to eSignal first, then IB, NT doesn't get any data for EURUSD, even though the symbol for eSignal EURUSD is blank and IB EURUSD is defined.

If I connect to IB first, then eSignal, NT gets all its data only from IB, won't get any from eSignal.

Is there any way to get NT to pull data for EURUSD from IB and ES from eSignal?

Thanks

Comment

kdoren, welcome to the forums. No, as unfortunately you can't selectively pick one instrument type from one connection and one from another if both connections support the same range of instrument types, as in your case. If you connect to eSignal first, NinjaTrader would use the ES and EURUSD from it and only 'backfall' on the second IB connection if the eSignal completely fails.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That's unfortunate. I hope NT7 has the ability to use different data feeds for different symbols, or at least different instrument types. Otherwise what is the point of being able to connect to multiple data feeds? It's clearly not using the second feed as a backup, because even though it can't get the data from the first feed (eSignal) it won't try to get it from the second feed (IB). Even when I disconnect from eSignal, it won't get the forex data from IB; I then have to disconnect IB and reconnect IB in order for it to start getting forex data from IB.

If it's not currently slated for NT7, please put it on the wish list.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kdoren View Post
            That's unfortunate. I hope NT7 has the ability to use different data feeds for different symbols, or at least different instrument types. Otherwise what is the point of being able to connect to multiple data feeds? It's clearly not using the second feed as a backup, because even though it can't get the data from the first feed (eSignal) it won't try to get it from the second feed (IB). Even when I disconnect from eSignal, it won't get the forex data from IB; I then have to disconnect IB and reconnect IB in order for it to start getting forex data from IB.

If it's not currently slated for NT7, please put it on the wish list.

Thanks
            Hello kdoren,

I will forward this to our development team for future considerations.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
            Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I second the motion

I also need to pull down data from multiple sources (Zen-Fire and esignal). Some providers have data that others don't, and you need to be able to mix and match. Please implement this!

Now, my particular need is this: Zen-Fire doesn't even support the ticker I need. Esignal does. I noticed that you said if they are both available, it won't work. Is there a way I can get it to work in my case (Zen-Fire primary, Esignal backup)?
              Last edited by Prospectus; 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I vote for this functionality too. I need the same setting as kdoren.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post alifarahani  
                Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse