Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninjatrader Locks Up usng DTN.IQ

Hi-

I am using the IQ Feed from DTN.IQ as a second connection.

Pertinent Information:

1. I connect through Mirus Futures as my first connection.
    2. I have an ANALYZER page loaded that contains 181 stocks.
    3. I am only receiving stock information from DTN.IQ

Problem:

Almost every day, whenever I try to bring up a stock from a chart, Ninjatrader displays the message "saving...this action can not be aborted", but then the chart just "locks up" which causes me to have to shut down ninjatrader and restart (on a side note: it now takes ninjatrader about 15-minutes just to reboot, but I'll leave that problem along for right now because I want to fix the current problem).

These "lock-ups" appear to mostly happen in the morning, especially on Mondays after the weekend, because 'usually' when I reboot ninjatrader I am fine for the current day. However, the following day, if I try to bring up a new stock from a chart, the problem occurs again and the process starts all over.

Hello monti1a,

Do you create a brand new chart when the issue occurs? Or do you change instruments in an existing chart?

I suggest to reduce the historical data in the chart and/or reduce the amount of indicators applied in the chart.

In addition, please see the link below for additional tips to prevent unresponsiveness of the software.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      Hello monti1a,

Do you create a brand new chart when the issue occurs? Or do you change instruments in an existing chart?

I suggest to reduce the historical data in the chart and/or reduce the amount of indicators applied in the chart.

In addition, please see the link below for additional tips to prevent unresponsiveness of the software.
      http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html
      I change instruments on an existing chart.

Comment

Ok, please reduce the amount of historical data and/or indicators in the chart and check if the issue persists.

Comment

monti1a: Jason will work with you on that issue.

However, I would be curious to see how our new NT7 will work on your setup. Would you mind reading my original post #1 on thread

... and provide the info required so we could see if NT7 actually would perform any better?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
            monti1a: Jason will work with you on that issue.

However, I would be curious to see how our new NT7 will work on your setup. Would you mind reading my original post #1 on thread

... and provide the info required so we could see if NT7 actually would perform any better?

Thanks in advance
            Dierk,

Unfortunately, I have custom coded proprietary indicators on my workspaces. Therefore, I will not be able to distribute the workspaces with the custom indicators on them.

Comment

The Famous Saving Popup

Just to confirm I have this same problem since ever I use NT (with IB feed). The problem has never been solved. I now put the market analyzer in a separate workspace, so I am sure it is not updated upon connection.

My default workspace has three intraday charts, and I regularly experience NinjaTrader hangs and shut downs. The problem only occurs during backfill of the charts. Usually, after a second or third try, eventually restoring the data base (which I backup every day, just in case) NT is fine, and no problems from thereon....

This is the most annoying feature of NinjaTrader, I hope there will be some improvement with Release 7.

Comment

mont1a: Thanks for considering.

Comment

Is it possible that security software was the cause of the problem?

I had Trend Micro Internet "Firewall" Security software enabled at the time. I have since temporarily disabled the firewall.

Comment

Hello monti1a,

I am not sure if the firewall is the cause of the issue.

Do you still experience the 'lock up' when the firewall is disabled?

Comment

Hello monti1a,

I am not sure if the firewall is the cause of the issue.

Do you still experience the 'lock up' when the firewall is disabled?
                      I'm testing it now with the firewall disabled. I probably won't know anything until sometime next week.

Comment

Ok, I will await the outcome sometime next week.

Comment

Ok, I will await the outcome sometime next week.

Well...that didn't work. Ninjatrader locked up again on me when I tried to bring up a new stock on an existing chart....even with firewall disabled.

Do you guys have access to DTN.IQ datafeed?

If so, why don't you all try and reproduce it on your end. It's very frustrating for me to have to try and troubleshoot these issues while at the same time actively daytrading my live account and having to continuously reboot.

I have had numerous problems with ninjatrader and third-party providers of stock data as documented on other threads.

Comment

Hello monti1a,

Internet connectivity and PC resources play a role as well. I tested workspaces on my end while connected to IQFeed, but so far it did not result in freezing behavior.

You mentioned you have almost 200 instruments listed in the Market Analyzer. I suggest to reduce this number or reduce columns in the Market Analyzer and check if this will make a difference.

If NinjaTrader freezes, in most cases it requests too much resources from your PC. You will need to reduce this request.

Market volatility plays a factor as well. The same workspace will request more resources during volatile periods than less volatile periods. Especially when you have 'Calculate on bar close' set to False, which means the indicators get calculated on each incoming tick.

Comment

Isn't this a known problem (I have it too), to be fixed in NT7?

IQFeed Adapter
                              - Updated to the latest API
                              - Optimized processing of news and historical data series requests
                              - Fixed issue where daily events were not processed correctly if NinjaTrader was left connected to IQFeed overnight
                              - Fixed issue where loss of connection during a pending historical data series would cause NinjaTrader to hang

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Radano, 06-10-2021, 01:40 AM
                              19 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Radano
                              by Radano

Started by KenneGaray, Today, 03:48 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes