Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying out NinjaTrader but having issues

Hi all,

I am trying out NT as it seems a really nice trading SW application however I am having a few issues understanding how it works. Here are a few questions I am puzzled about:

1) What are 'instruments'?
    2) I've been trying to get NT to access a live data feed for the LSE (FTSE). I tried creating a Yahoo and a ZenFire-based account in NT but no luck in viewing live stock data or creating a chart.
    3) Do I need to add stock symbols manually or does NT automatically does this upon connecting to a data feed?

Really wish I could get to see what NT is capable of doing but so far I've got nowhere. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks much.
    Last edited by theM1G; 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM.

Welcome to our support forums theM1G!

1. Instruments are your trading products you want to chart / trade with - for example a currency, stock or future.

2. ZenFire only provides Futures data, and Yahoo only end of day equity data, this overview here is very helpful in tracking what is supported and possible with the various connections - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ricalData.html

3. Many symbols are presetup, for this just go to Tools > Instrument Manager in a disconnected state and check the default symbols setup. Reason is, when you're connected live, the Instrument Manager allows you only to view and access supported instruments for this specific connection (for example only Futures for ZenFire)
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply Ninja-Bertrand. I think I understand now the basics of the inner-workings of NT.

I would like to try out NT for a couple of weeks while being able to access a free data feed for the London Stock Exchange. Could anyone advise me on a free LSE data feed? For the time being I'm only interested in trading stocks and a delayed data feed would suit my needs just fine.

NT seems to be the perfect trading application because of its scripting abilities. To be able to try it out with real market data would be bliss.

Thanks very much.

Comment

You're welcome theM1G - if end of day data would be sufficient to get you going, the Yahoo connection should be fine - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/support_Yahoo.htm

Most likely you would have to create custom instruments (your LSE stocks) in the Instrument Manager - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...eDatabase.html
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Alright then, will give it a go. Thanks again for your replies!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Brevo
          by Brevo

Started by aussugardefender, Today, 01:07 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes