Channel charting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel charting problem

NT + Zenfire is a great platform but one of the problems, for me anyways, is the following.

Let's say I've been using Pepe's channel tool on chart 1 which for illustration's sake is the YM 2 min. When I open a new YM 2 min chart, chart 2, all of the channels which were drawn on chart 1 are transferred to chart 2. On the other hand "Ninja specific" chart lines (horizontal, vertical or sloped lines) are not transferred to chart 2. The reason I'm opening a second YM 2 min is because I want a second time frame.

Does anyone know a way around this?

TIA

lj

Hello ljyoung,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately lines drawn on one chart will not transfer when opening a new chart.

I will forward this to our development team for future considerations.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT7 supports global draw objects. This will do what you want.

Here is a list of what's coming with NT7 - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
      RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
        Hello ljyoung,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately lines drawn on one chart will not transfer when opening a new chart.

I will forward this to our development team for future considerations.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
        Thanks for your followup. Actually the point I was making was that it was preferable that the channels NOT be transferred to the new chart but instead they were. That the "Ninja specific" lines are not transferred I think is preferable, as it gives the chartist the opportunity to start with a 'fresh' chart.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

lj

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
          NT7 supports global draw objects. This will do what you want.

Here is a list of what's coming with NT7 - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
          Thanks NTRay. I'll have a look at the link.

lj

Comment

Originally posted by ljyoung View Post
            Thanks NTRay. I'll have a look at the link.

lj
            While there are some very useful additions to NT7, what I still cannot find is a draw object for a set of parallel lines aka a channel. At present, the only 'tool' available for those who use channels is an indicator called "Pepe's Channels" or "PP_Channels" which unfortunately is a global indicator. This means that every new chart with the same time setting, let's say a 2 min/bar YM09-09, will have the channels from the previous chart.

So if I wished to open a new 2 min/bar YM09-09 chart but with a time range different from the old chart, let's say a CME Globex time range (essentially 24 hours) vs a regular futures trading hours time range (9:30 AM - 4:15 PM EST), the channels from the old chart are on the new chart and it's a mess. All of this crap could be avoided by having a channel tool as a drawing object with a choice as to whether or not I wish to carry it over (make it global).

There have been any number of requests by users of NT who employ channels in their charting (a site search shows requests going back at least 2 years) for a simple channel-drawing tool. Such requests have been duly noted by Admins and CS people but nothing ever happens. The regression channel tool is NOT what most people want but rather a very basic parallel lines tool.

Software/trading platforms of considerably less sophistication than NT, I won't bother to name them, have this simple device. Surely the code honchos at NT can come up with something. C'mon guys give the channel people a break. Channel people have feelings too and besides, there's a lot more of us than traders who use Andrew's pitchforks or Fib circles.

TIA

lj

PS: If all you do is 'duly note' me, I will, like a small child with a behaviour problem, hold my breath until I turn blue and upon recovery (possibly after a convulsion or two) contact my lawyers.

Comment

Instead of holding your breath until you turn blue, better spend your time and try to understand how PP_Channels works
              • the indicator reads/writes the channels to files in a certain directory
              • you find the directory name _dir in the OnBarUpdate() method:
              _dir = Environment.GetFolderPath Environment.SpecialFolder.....
              • the file name _fileName is also created in the OnBarUpdate() method:
              _fileName = _dir + Instrument.FullName + "_" + Bars.Period.Value + ".dat"
              • As you see, the file name depends only on the instruments name and period, like ES 09-09_5.dat for a 5 Minute ES chart.
              • If you want to apply the channels only for certain charts (or sessions), you should create unique file names for each chart (or session)

Unique file name per chart
              • create a new indicator property ChartID
              in the Variables region add the new variable chartID:
              protected string chartID = "ljyoung_1";
              in the Properties region add these lines:
              [Description("Set Chart ID to make channels local to specific charts")]
              [Category("Parameters")]
              public string ChartID
              {
              get { return chartID; }
              set { chartID = value; }
              }
              • add the string chartID to the file name in the OnBarUpdate() method
              _fileName = _dir + Instrument.FullName + "_" + Bars.Period.Value + "_" + chartID + ".dat"
              • change the Chart ID in the indicators property dialogue to any value you like
              e.g. ljyoung_is_happy, now the file name is ES 09-09_5_ljyoung_is_happy.dat
              Unique file name per session
              • create a new string sessionID in OnBarUpdate()
              string sessionID = Bars.SessionBegin.ToString("HHmm") + "-" + Bars.SessionEnd.ToString("HHmm");
              • add the string sessionID to the file name
              _fileName = _dir + Instrument.FullName + "_" + Bars.Period.Value + "_" + sessionID + ".dat"
              • the file name is something like ES 09-09_5_0830-1515.dat
              Now you can get creative with unique file names

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara2 View Post
                Instead of holding your breath until you turn blue, better spend your time and try to understand how PP_Channels works ...
                Thank you Barbara2 for your helpful thoughts. My "breath-holding spell" manoeuver was directed more to the NT coders than anyone or anything else. If you don't mind, I will pass on your input to more code-receptive beings and see what they can come up with. My particular version of NT does not permit me to address coding issues, aside from which, I have no desire to improve my understanding of how a particular or any piece of software works.

The challenge to the enterprise NT coders stands! Dumb down and extend a helping hand to dull-witted channel traders.

Thank you again B2 for your help.

lj

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by benmarkal, Yesterday, 12:52 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                1 response