Very long time to start up--every time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very long time to start up--every time

Every time I open ninja in the morning I have to hold my breath and brace for what could be a long drawn-out process to get the program up and running. By the time I'm finished doing that on some days I've lost my groove for trading. It is exasperating.
    As of now I've been waiting about 5 minutes since connecting to my data server for Ninja to fill the charts. I had to restart my computer twice this morning (so far) since Ninja froze up. I rebuilt the data base (again) and this doesn't seem to help.
    Please help me...this seems to be getting worse and worse.

rsi77

So once again Ninja freezes...I am restarting it again.

Comment

OK, I'll start a new workspace.
      With no charts Ninja started right up...maybe that's the secret. If I don't use any charts the program seems to work great!

Comment

Spoke to fast....Ninja is now sluggish even if I just try to move the control center window.

Comment

Hi,

Can you send us your workspaces. You can find them under Start menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Workspaces--> Your saved workspaces XML files.

Please send to support at ninjatrader dot com and refer to this post. If they turn out to be larger than 1 MB please send it from within the application under Help--> Mail to support.

After this copy your workspace files to a location outside of the NinjaTrader 6.5 folder and restart NinjaTrader. The software should start up faster now. However, you need to recreate your workspaces.

When we received your workspaces we can take a look at what happened.
          Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for sending your workspace. The issue is really clear:

- You have 5 workspaces that open on start up
            - Most if not all of these workspaces contain many constant volume charts which are driven by ticks
            - Your days to load settings are extremely large --> 70 days back in some cases, I am not sure if you need this large of a lookback period but most will only use several days when working with tick based chart due to the memory and processing overhead
            - You workspace requirements are overwhelming NinjaTrader

What can you do?

- Reduce the days back on all of your volume charts to single digit days
            - Reduce the # of charts if possible
            - Right now, you might be running into memory limitations which cause NT to disk swap which is causing the lock up
            - If NT will not start, you will have to build the workspaces from scratch

In the future...

- Although your workspace requirements are extremely demanding we do know that memory and workspace load is an issue and we have addressed it for NT7
            - In NT7, your workspace demands will be less of an issue
            - Here is a link to more information on NT7 - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

How soon for NT7?

Comment

You said I have 5 workspaces that open up on startup...did you mean I have 5 charts that open up? Why would a workspace other than the active one open up on startup?

Comment

We are targetting end of September for a beta release of NT7 and targeting end of year for a production release.

I mean 5 workspaces on start up. These are all active with one at the fore front which I believe you are calling active. They are all active since if they were not, you would not be able to switch instantly between them. If you don't need all 5 active, start NT, close select one you don't need, the File > Workspaces > Close Workspace, repeat this for all unncessary workspaces. Then on shut down, save all workspaces which will save the current state of NT and on restart only open the relevant workspace. If you open a workspace during a session but no longer need it, make sure to close it.

Comment

1 chart, 15 days history, still waiting to load

I'm trying to build a new workspace.
                    I rebooted my computer.
                    I opened a new workspace...with a single chart with 9 days history.
                    2 minutes for chart to open....yes its a volume chart. I'm sorry I use volume charts. If Ninja can't make volume charts you should not list it as a feature.

I added a 30 minutes chart that went back 40 days...(I like to be able to see what happened a couple months ago)

Then added 2 1m charts with TPO study from FinAlg added. The TPO studies need to be looked at more than a couple days at a time. (I don't why I feel I need to justify my chart preferences to you.)

I connected to my data server several minutes ago....Most of my charts have loaded....still waiting.

Is there anything else I can do to make this work at a bearable speed?

Comment

OK, I had no idea those workspaces remained active. I'm sure it will help when I close them.

I'm sorry for my tone, it's been a rough few days for several reasons...Ninja has just been the frosting on the cake.

I'm make a minimized workspace for trading hours. I will create a different one for study purposes.

thanks for you help.

rsi77

Comment

For clarification, I am not asking you to justify your application preferences, I am just pointing out where your preferences are overwhelming NinjaTrader so that you may be able to have a better experience with our software.

Here is a link that discuss various ways to increase performance - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

What you could try is dial down by only requesting a few days data, then dial it up notch by notch until you see a noticeable performance hit. This will at least tell you where you may hit the wall with our software.

Comment

adding indicators half the charts stop updating

I added indicators and one out of 4 charts will update.

Whats the approach ?

did the repari data base

cleaned up the computer itself

?

Comment

laredo, which NinjaTrader version are you using? You can check under Help > About.

Do the charts update again as expected if you remove the indicators?

Do you see any errors in the Log tab of the Control Center?

If those are multiple indicators added per chart, I would suggest removing them completely and adding them back one by one to troubleshoot where the root may be found.
                            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

instrument manager,old contract removed from

IS it true that if you more an instrument back out of active service on instrument manager and so not delete only historical data from it ,it will still be a drag on the computer?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post mattbsea  
                              Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post RideMe