NT alert sounds distorted on new system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT alert sounds distorted on new system

I just purchased a new "fast" multi-monitor system running the latest version of Windows Vista Premium Home Edition. NT is running fine except all the alert sounds (order cancelled, stop filled, target filled, etc.) are distorted several octaves down. I am not a computer whiz, but I played the sounds directly in Windows Media Player and they play correctly. Plus, all sounds, videos, movie trailers, music clips, etc. played from my browser play correctly without distortion. As far as I can tell, it is limited just to NinjaTrader.

Any ideas?

Billy Valentine, thanks for the post - I would suggest a fresh install then of NinjaTrader and the underlying .NET framework, as it seems the sound card drivers are fine.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Bertrand. I'll do that.

Comment

Still distorted.

I reinstalled NT following the instructions below exactly, but I still get the alert sounds distorted several octaves down (the female voice sounds like a drunken baritone). I also checked to see that I had the latest dot net framework installed.

All system sounds, videos, audio play normally. Any other ideas?
        1. Close all running applications.
        2. Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs.
        3. From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 6.5 and click Remove.
        4. Then manually delete the folder "NinjaTrader 6.5" located under Start --> My Documents.
        5. Delete any NinjaTrader installation files. This can be done by going to Start --> My Computer --> Search button --> search for (NinjaTrader*) --> select Local C Disk and then press search.
        6. Then you will need to clear your internet browser cache and history. You will clear this from within your internet browser (with IE, Tools-->Options, delete cookies and files, clear history).

Comment

Yeah, our NinjaTrader female voice can sound like this after a party weekend at times...

I would suggest uninstalling your .NET framework and then installing this also fresh (3.5 would do it), after this check for updates to it using the Windows Update feature. Then recheck if the distortion has been cleared up.

Comment

Bertrand:

Ok, I reinstalled everything from scratch for the second time and still no luck. Here is what I did:
            1. Uninstalled the MS .net Framework
            2. Installed the MS .net Framework 3.5
            3. Checked for and installed updates with Windows Updater
            4. Uninstalled NinjaTrader, dumped all NT documents and installation files
            5. Cleared all temporary files in IE.
            6. Rebooted computer, launched virgin copy of NinjaTrader
            7. Created a new chart
            8. Control Panel > Connect > Simulated Feed
            9. Placed an order. "Ooooorrrderrrr fiiiiilllllllld," said the drunken Darth Vader.
            10. Tools > Options > Misc > Repair DB

I rely on alert sounds for my trading and they are unintelligible. Most frustrating having done this twice now. By the way, this is a virgin computer and the ONLY application installed after opening the box was Interactive Broker's TWS and NinjaTrader. The installs of NT are untouched, no 3rd party indicators added and tests performed on first launch.

Now what?

Comment

Billy Valentine, is this a 64 bit system you're running? Might be an issue here since not supported officially with NinjaTrader 6.5 (will change with NinjaTrader 7). I would also suggest checking for updates to chipset and audio drivers as well.

Comment

System type: 32-bit Operating System
                Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7600 @3.06Ghz 3.06GHz
                Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
                Windows Vista Home Premium
                Service Pack 1

This is not a problem with sound on my computer. It is a problem with NinjaTrader. All system sounds, all CD, video and Flash movie sounds operate perfectly. Sound driver is current. I can play any of the NT alert sounds directly with Windows Media Player, but NT cannot. I do not know what a chipset is or why I would need an update on a NEW system, built less than a month ago purchased from MultiMonitors/SuperPC. NT sounds works fine on my old Dell running XP and on my Mac running Vista in Bootcamp. Sorry, I am a trader, not a computer geek.

Thank you.

Comment

Billy Valentine, thanks for the details, will check with development on this, running out of ideas here....

Comment

Billy Valentine, unfortunately I don't have much new input regarding this issue - are you running any third party software like Yahoo Messenger or Google Toolbar? If yes, try uninstalling those and see if this makes a difference.

Comment

Bertrand,

I solved the problem!

I removed my new speakers, uninstalled all sound drivers, installed my old speakers and reinstalled the driver. Now the drunken sailor has been replaced by the happy barmaid!

Maybe this thread will help someone else should they ever have a problem.

Thank you for your assistance and sorry to be such a pain in the neck.

Comment

Yuo're welcome, great this is resolved for you!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
                        3 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                        Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                        11 responses
                        0 likes