Swing Trading question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing Trading question

This may have been asked before, but I didn't find a good example of it after a quick search. My strategy essentially requires multi-day holding. Is this possible? Keep in mind I am using Interactive brokers, so everyday I will be closing TWS and NinjaTrader, then the next day I open it again.. Will NinjaTrader be able to sync up with my account and know what it still has open and manage that position appropriately?

Can you tell me exactly what steps I need to take to ensure that my strategy will be able to hold for multiple days and trade properly knowing I will be restarting NT and TWS everyday..

Thanks

Hello frostengine,

Thank you for your post.

Your positions will be updated when you connect the next day in NinjaTrader from TWS. There is nothing more that you need to do other than connect. Please also see the disclaimer when creating your IB connection: Go to Tools --> Account Connections --> (select your IB connection)--> Change --> Press next until you see finish and the disclaimer will appear about holding overnight positions.

Unfortunately automated NinjaScript Strategies will terminate when you disconnect or shut down NinjaTrader.
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just to be clear this is an automated strategy. Lets say the strategy for simplicity sake is one that goes long when the 20 SMA crosses below 50 SMA. The only exit rule is a profit target of 10 ticks. no other way to exit, so result wanted is for the strategy to continue holding for days until finally the price moved 10 ticks from where that entry was..

This will all just work? All i have to do everyday is start TWS, NT and then start that strategy on that symbol? It will be able to get my current position from TWS and continue trading it waiting for it to move 10 ticks from entry and exit?

Nothing else needs to be done on my side? Do i need to adjust the submit historical working orders/wait for flat settings? if I have it set as wait for flat, will it still work correctly?

Thanks

Comment

To clarify:

This will only work with manual trading, not automated strategies.

-Your NinjaScript Strategy will be stopped when you disconnect

-If you start it the next day, it will most likely be out of sync with your account position.
        More information on syncing here: http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=4033

NinjaTrader 7 will have some alternate options in regards to leaving automated strategies running.

Please see this link for the latest news on NinjaTrader 7: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT...er7_Letter.htm

Comment

If the security its trading is only traded automatically, meaning I never touch it manually.. then in this case it should remain in sync? When the strategy is turned on and sees that it should be long 100 shares right now... and since I been running this strategy EVERYDAY my real account is still long 100 shares from several days ago when the strategy told it to buy 100 shares.. then everything should be in sync and continue to work?

Am I understanding correctly that the only time in this situation it would be out of sync would be if I didn't start the strategy at the correct time or missed a day where something happened? Is there any other way it could be out of sync?

Comment

Originally posted by frostengine View Post
            If the security its trading is only traded automatically, meaning I never touch it manually.. then in this case it should remain in sync? When the strategy is turned on and sees that it should be long 100 shares right now... and since I been running this strategy EVERYDAY my real account is still long 100 shares from several days ago when the strategy told it to buy 100 shares.. then everything should be in sync and continue to work?

Am I understanding correctly that the only time in this situation it would be out of sync would be if I didn't start the strategy at the correct time or missed a day where something happened? Is there any other way it could be out of sync?
            Check under Tools --> Options --> Strategies --> NinjaScript tab --> You see two options:
            "immediately submit live working historical orders"
            "Wait until flat before executing live"

If you check the first "immediately..." as long as their were no exit conditions met in the historical data between the time you disconnected and reconnected, your strategy position will remain in sync.

If you select the "Wait until flat.." option, a live trade will not be placed until the strategy position is flat. In this case, since your account position is long, the two positions would be out of sync.

Anytime you are out of sync, you would have to place manual trades as explained in the link I provied to re-sync.

Hopefully that helps.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by warreng86, 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM
            7 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
            0 responses