Multiple Automation Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Automation Questions

I feel like I have been through quite a gauntlet to get to the point of sim testing. Now in test, I am observing multiple behaviors that I need input on. I have tested for only a handful of trading days, but have observed more peculiarities than ever:

A. Started with all positions flat, long-only strategies, but ended up with a short position after a couple of days.

B. In the first days, I had orders (not just executions) of numbers like 867, 8, and 1 for a single strategy trigger - some with strange commission numbers. Today I am seeing two orders for most stops (though commission looks correct). I'd have more detail, but many panes are blank today - see below. Strategies are set to trade X account size.

C. I can see most of the strategies had positive gains today. If I right-click a strategy and select real time performance, the graphs show a gain for today, but the Executions, Trades, and Orders panes are blank. In prior days they had details. Memory utilization has climbed only to the 500M range (usually OK from my experience) and it has been online for two days.

D. I am trying to leave it online to avoid strategy setup as possible. Sometimes I am successful in letting it run for a couple days, but one day I started it in the AM only to return and find that it had crashed with over 3.5GB of memory utilization.

E. Strategies generally traded every few days in simulation, but now seem to trade about two times a day in real time - even though they are set to calculate on bar close. I am currently testing with 10-15 minute bars.

F. In optimization and back testing, is there any way to simulate the Strategy Exit on Close XX seconds? It always exits at 3:00 unless I enter logic to trade an entire timeframe bar (10 or 15 min) earlier. In Options, Time to Flatten did not help unless it was much earlier than the last bar of the day. It seems there should be an exit-seconds setting in the Analyzer just as there is in the Strategy pane.

G. After restarting NT and part way through reentering strategies, it "encounterd an error and needs to shut down" upon entering a ticker.

H. As I restart a long strategy after hours, I get an out of sync error and it places a short order. As far as I could tell, everything was flat. As I look at the Positions tab, it is empty. I cancelled the short order on the Orders pane, and let it run. Is that the correct approach? The Strategy pane still shows a 866L position while the Log pane shows they are stops - huh? Why did an 8:30-3 long strategy go short with a stop after hours on seemingly flat positions? Yes, I have read the help page on this.

I am anxious to achieve a level of confidence and get started, but I don't understand the behavior and inconsistencies. Of course, I still have much to learn as well. Any input on the observations above is appreciated.
    Last edited by KrisS; 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM.

KrisS, thanks for the post.

Which NinjaTrader version are you running in your testing now? You can check under Help > About

Then it sounds like you run into sync issues between your account and strategy positions, please review this link for the implications and solutions - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...tPosition.html

For the memory issues, since NinjaTrader 6.5 is a 32 bit process it's important to limit resource use to ~ 1.5 GB of RAM, this will change with NinjaTrader 7 later this year (first beta targeted end of September) -

Live executions will most likely be different from backtested ones due to fill considerations and data differences - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...sBacktest.html

For the error messages you get, please contact us using the Help > Mail to Support feature and include your trace and log files for review. Thanks!
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Bertrand,

I am using 6.5.1000.11.

Regarding B below, an example is attached. Can you help me understand why a single entry is resulting in 3 orders and strange commissions? Also, please note what happens to the Cum. Commis percent - way out of whack.

Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

KrisS, seems you get partial fills on the simulator, if you add the commissions, it's a round 20$ for the full position...

Comment

After crashing tonight, I again set up my strategies on sim. All positions were previously closed EOD, and all strategies were set to trade only during market hours. When started, three of the strategies entered stops as short orders (according to the log) but showed Long positions in the strategy tab. Why orders after hours? Why stops? Why Long in the strategy tab, and short in the log?

Being after hours, the sim did not fill the orders. I cancelled the pending orders, but the strategies tab still show Long positions for the Short stops (short according to the log tab) Why?

Please recognize the need to understand this seemingly unpredictable behavior before any money is put at risk - thanks.

Comment

You will need to use TraceOrders = true and track down where your strategy is submitting these orders from. http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=3627
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,

I will try - thanks, though most of these are simple wizard-generated stratigies. I would think the parameters set when the strategy is added to the list would prevent any trades outside those hours. In light of my simple wizard strategies and the hour parameters in the add-strategy dialog, I don't know how this could be considered anything other than a bug.

Thanks,

Kris

Comment

KrisS, it's hard to advise more detailed without the full strategy code - working out strategies in the wizard can still mean they need debugging efforts to work properly as you had it in mind. If you like, I can test this on my end also, for this please contact me at support at ninjatrader dot com Attn Bertrand.

Comment

EDIT: Disregard my statement below in this same post, I think I figured it out and have posted the likely root calculation error example here:

Disregard this:
                  As I run strategies on the Sim account, the account balance has been as expected until last week. The Sim account balance suddenly jumped almost 30K on the 7th while the total performance for the strategies was relatively flat that day. Is there any way I can trace the root cause for this if the 7th is no longer visible in the executions list or log?
                  Last edited by KrisS; 08-14-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by yertle, Yesterday, 08:38 AM
                  7 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post yertle
                  by yertle

Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes