NT has a serious problem when drawing horizontal lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT has a serious problem when drawing horizontal lines

This is so ridiculous, but I can't get around the evidence. I was noticing that my computer was experiencing serious slowdowns even though I only had 2 charts open with hardly any indicators and very few bars back, so I started playing around with it... and it turns out that adding horizontal lines to the chart at every tick (Horizontal Grid Line Interval = 1) seems to seriously slow the system down. I tried adding the lines and noticed CPU usage about twice normal and sluggish UI response. Then I removed the lines, and it instantly went back down. Also, when you are trying to move orders around using Chart Trader, having horizontal lines on there causes the entire display to be sluggish, while removing them turns it back to normal. This is repeatable.

I have no idea what in the world your code could be doing to cause this, but you need to fix it for the next release. This has nothing to do with my setup so don't bother asking me about my settings - I have narrowed it down to this issue through trial and error, and you need to test it on your end to confirm it. Try placing simulation orders and use the chart trader to move the stops around with and without Horizontal lines set to an interval of 1 and you'll see what I mean. Note that this will be most apparent during heavy volume periods.

Hello JS999,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce this issue.

1.) Please make sure you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.11. You can check under Help --> About.
    If not, please download from this link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm

2.) If the issue persists, test with only one chart open and no indicators. Does it continue?

3.) If yes, please tell me what instrument and what other indicators you have on your chart so I can try to reproduce.

Thank you!
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
      Hello JS999,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce this issue.

1.) Please make sure you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.11. You can check under Help --> About.
      If not, please download from this link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm

2.) If the issue persists, test with only one chart open and no indicators. Does it continue?

3.) If yes, please tell me what instrument and what other indicators you have on your chart so I can try to reproduce.

Thank you!
      Opening up with a fresh chart and no indicators (one chart only) did not reproduce the issue - however it still exists when I have 3 charts open:

2 Minute chart with 300 bars lookback (3 EMAs on it + volume, all set to CalculateOnBarClose = true, except volume which is false)

30 Second chart with 200 bars lookback (1 EMAs on it + volume, set to CalculateOnBarClose = true, volume is set to false)

10 second chart with 200 bars lookback (1 EMA, 1 VMA, volume on it - same settings as above)

Adding horizontal lines slows down the system. Even without horizontal lines, this setup rails the CPU at around 80% when the market is running - CL (Sept contract) is the worst instrument, that's always the one you should be testing.

Also when I open a time + sales the whole system slows to a crawl.

Anyways, I don't have time to debug your software - none of this should be happening, and it sure shouldn't be happening on a Core i7 920 with only 3 short-range charts open and hardly any indicators. It is obvious that this software can't handle the Zen-Fire data feed under heavy volume, and there's nothing that can be done about that until version 7. If you don't fix this for version 7 however, I will be demanding my money back, because as things stand your software is incapable of performing the most basic task that a piece of charting software is required to do, which is run and keep up with market data in real-time under all conditions. I'll just put up with this and work around it for another couple of months, but I shouldn't have to have ever dealt with this type of stuff in the first place.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post jaybedreamin  
      Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
      6 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post DJ888