Multiple strategies issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple strategies issue

I have 3 separate wizard produced strategies running at the same time to maximize different aspects of market conditions. they also have different time frames. Each has good results in back~testing. One of the conditions I have set within each strategy is to check to make sure the market position is flat before entering a trade- so that it doesn't automatically enter a trade every bar!
    The problem is- and I haven't fully tested the issue yet.... I want each strategy to take a trade when that strategy gives the go ahead to do so. That would mean that potentially I could have 3 separate trades happening at the same time- GOOD!
    But when the first enters a trade- does that send a message to the other strategies to not enter the market?
    If so how can I avoid this happening.
    I have uniquely named each potential entry but I can't get each strategy to check if it is "flat for only that named order"- CAN I?
    Thanks
    raycam

raycam, not sure I fully follow - if you work with Position.MarketPosition the check would be limited to each individual strategy, not the overall account position - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...tPosition.html
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. Could you tell me what this would mean then
      position.marketposition == flat
      rather than != flat.
      thanks
      raycam

Comment

Correct, to check for a flat state, please use

Code:

if (Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Flat)

Comment

Thanks again Bertrand.
          I am still finding my feet with all this. Technically I don't need a chart up or a superdom to trade this in sim or real do I?
          What I am doing at the moment is from the control center I click on strategies then right click and add my three and start them all. Whenever conditions are met- one or more will fire with a trade. This would be the case whether I am trading live or in sim- right?
          Thanks
          raycam

Comment

Correct raycam, just keep in mind the charts would the not show those trades - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...tegiesTab.html

Also for these 'from the strategies tab launched' strategy the chart default lookback settings for historical data would apply (Tools > Options > Data), so please set this high enough to have enough data loaded for those to initialize properly.

Comment

Wow- ok! So if I wanted to see the entry placements I would just set it up from a chart- and that can be live too. I think I'd prefer being able to monitor it visually. Is that the only difference in the trading setups- Otherwise why have the strategies tab at all?

Comment

Yes raycam, that is correct. Some people like to run strategies in the background and trade themselves from the charts, do to not clutter up things this is split up.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes