Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Ninja Trader use and capabilities questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja Trader use and capabilities questions..

I'm using the paid version of Ninja Trader 6.5 (using ZenFire connection)- I'm using a new Dell laptop with one external monitor (for charts), using 3 SuperDoms (each with it's own ATM strategy) on one Ninja workspace (one SuperDom is trading ES, one trading NQ, and the other YM Emini index futures). I've been trading live for a couple weeks, and have developed some questions about Ninja Trader use and capabilities, which I was told to try to utilize the forum for.. I'm new to forums, and so not sure if I should submit my list of questions all at once(?), but here they are:

1) If I have an open ES position (with an entry at 900, and a market stop at 890, and the market is currently at 915), and the TIF is set to "Day", and I wanted to leave the position running (having chosen "Flatten all" at 3:10pm), could I then sign off the computer, and rest assured that either my stop was hit before the end of day (and I was left flat), or else the Ninja system maintained my instructions (eventhough I'm not signed on), and flattened my (profitable) position before 3:15pm (once again leaving me flat and with the stop order being purged at 3:10pm also? What does TIF = Day actually mean? what time exactly is considered 'end of day' for the ES? 3:14:59pm or a little earlier to make sure the command is fully executed?

2) If I'm in a position submitted thru an ATM strategy where there is an Auto-Breakeven preset into the Stop, can I deactivate the Auto Breakeven (by right clicking on the Stop and deselecting the check mark)?

3) I know that if I had entered my Stop as part of an ATM strategy that I can make it Auto Trail and scale out of my position, but my question is if I already have a naked open long position, and I want to put a Stop in place (by middle clicking on the external mouse in the Ask column below the market), can I still set this Stop up such that it will Auto Trail or scale out of the position?

4) To place a Stop entry order above or below the market I can click the center scroll wheel on an external mouse. But is there an alternative way to place such a Stop order if I am using just a laptop (without external mouse middle button)? I know there's some way to do it thru Chart trading, but if I'm just working off the SuperDom, is there some sort of CTRL + left click type command to place Stops with a laptop?

5) If I right click in the SuperDom and select Properties, one the fields says 'Show Cumulative Depth: False'. What does it change if I select True? can it show me more than the 5 best bids/offers?

6) In the Custom Stop Strategy window, I can enter Auto Trail parameters Stop, Frequency, and Profit Trigger, I'm just confirming that the number of ticks that I put in the Stop field is the number of ticks behind the Profit Trigger (not entry price) that the Stop will go- correct?

7) I know the Ninja software will allow me to flatten all positions (and resting orders) at specific time, but can I set it to do the same at a specific profit or loss (i.e. if my account is ever up $XXXX or down $XXX, the flatten all orders, and quit for the day)? if not, would you please suggest it to your programmers for version 7.0.

8) Is there any way to rearrange the input fields for the SuperDom, so that they show up to the side of the SuperDom (rather than below the SuperDom), so that I can expand the number of viewable rows in my SuperDom to 50 rows (but still be able to see the SuperDom inputs section). I know that I can use the scroll wheel to go up and down the grid, but sometimes I would like to be able to see a bigger playing field (and not have the SuperDom control fields then go below my viewable computer screen. I've seen other trading platforms with the ability to switch the controls to the side of the grid, can I do that with Ninja Trader? if not, would you please suggest it to your programmers for version 7.0.

9) With the Ninja charts, is it possible to create a 'Point and Figure' chart (it uses X's and O's for up and down movement)? if not, is there I can request it from your programmers for version 7.0?

10) Is it possible to show the actual time (including seconds) on the Ninja software or SuperDom (so I don't have to click my computer time to check the time)?

11) Is there a problem with the Ninja trading charts showing Daily data? I can select up to 60 minute charts with no problem, but whenever I select Daily (or Weekly) as the time frame in the drop down menu on the chart, it doesn't work?

12) If I have an open order with a stop/limit OCO collar on it, and I sign off Ninja (leaving my trade order open), and then I sign back in from another location on another computer, will my OCO collar then go back into working effect (since I am now logged in again)? or do I need to sign back into the same actual computer that I was originally working on?

13) When generating a report in the Account Performance, it shows losses in red, but when I go to print that report the losses don't show up because my computer has only a black ink cartridge. Is there any way to set the Account Performance so that it shows losses in black (where simply parentheses around the number signify that it's a loss), so that I can print the full report? )? if not, is there I can request it from your programmers for version 7.0?

14) If I want to set my commissions to be $4.80 per round turn, I go to Options-> Commissions -> down to Futures- ZenFire... and then it says no commission levels defined, so I click [...] and it asks for Commission and Units? I'm not sure what I should put in, what is a Unit? Do I put in 4.80 for Commission and Unit = 1, or 2.40 for Commission and Unit = 2? please explain what I should input if my round turn cost on ES is $4.80.

15) When I go to Tools --> Options --> Strategies, it has prechecked two boxes which say 'Modify Inner Bracket' and 'Modify Nearest Bracket'. What does this mean and apply to? what is the effect of unchecking these boxes?

16) If I create an ATM strategy that has "Reverse at Stop" activated, if I go in with 12 contracts, but my strategy scales out of my position 4 contracts at a time at 3 separate targets, where will the strategy actually reverse at? 4 contracts at each target price where a stop exits me, or the full amount of 12 contracts will reverse at the location of the final stop that is hit (or the initial stop, if the ATM does not make it to the targets)?

17) If I already have an open position with preset trailing Stops, can I now right click on the Stop order, and select 'Reverse at Stop', and that will now apply to those Stops (or do I have to have entered with the 'Reverse at Stop' preselected)? Likewise, if I'm in a trade that was entered with 'Reverse at Stop', can I right click and deselect this feature (and have it apply to the already working Stop)?

18) If I have 2 SuperDoms open each trading the same ES product, I can go into the SuperDom properties and select to display only the active strategy, but the PnL still show the combined total of both SuperDom's strategies, is there any way that I can just show the PnL of that specific SuperDom?

19) Similar to the previous question, I have my SuperDom Properties set to 'Show realized PnL when flat', so that I can see how each strategy is doing overall. But the problem is that it adds up all 3 SuperDoms and I am unable to easily look and see how each individual SuperDom product/strategy is doing. Is there anyway that I can view each SuperDom separately? I understand that I can use the 'Advanced Features' under the Account Performance tab, to separate out each product (YM, ES, of NQ), and Generate a report, but even doing all this is quite tedious when I simply want to be able to see how each SuperDom product/strategy is doing.. If not, would you please suggest it to your programmers for version 7.0. It would be nice if it was possible to have the choice to view PnL of different SuperDoms trading different products individually (opposed to all added up because they are attached to a single account).

Thank you for your time and assistance..

sev888,

1. For this you would need to activate 'Close At time' for the position - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...oseAtTime.html

2. Correct, just right click on the Stop and deactivate the AutoBreakEven part.

3. Yes, please see - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...AutoTrail.html

4. Unfortunately not, you could for example use the Control Center directly then for this order type.

5. It's just summing up the the bid / ask depth for you (5 levels on each side)

6. Yes

7. Unfortunately not, on the list for future consideration.

8. Unfortunately not, thanks suggesting this.

9. Yes, this will be available in NinjaTrader 7 - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html

10. Unfortunately not, would be doable with custom scripts on the charts.

11. Daily data needs to be supported by your data provider / broker - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ricalData.html

12. Same computer if using a connection where this logic is done locally - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=5349

13. Thanks for the suggestion.

14. Set just to min 2.40 then and leave levels off.

15. Please see - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...tegiesTab.html

16. It would reverse at outer target & stop - best is to set this up on the Simulated Data Feed and play around on the Sim101 account.

17. Yes, can check / uncheck as your in a trade, please set this up and test on Sim101 until comfortable.

18. PnL would still be displayed for both DOM's for the account selected.

19. Then please use the ATM's listed in the Strategies tab of the Control Center.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I appreciate your time and information in reply... a couple of clarifications:

re: your reply to number 1): I have activated 'Close at Tiime' for the position, and I understand the close algorithm in your attached link, but I still have a question as to what time does Ninja Trader execute this order if TIF = Day, what time exactly is considered 'end of day' for the ES? 3:14:59pm or a little earlier to make sure the command is fully executed?

re: your reply to number 19): Is there anyway that I can view the PnL of each SuperDom separately? If not, would you please suggest it to your programmers for version 7.0. It would be nice if it was possible to have the choice to view PnL of different SuperDoms trading different products individually (opposed to all added up because they are attached to a single account).

Thanks again for your time and assistance..

Comment

A TIF setting of DAY would hold an order valid for the regular cash market session.

Not sure I fully follow, the open position's Pnl would be displayed, if you're flat is tied to the account if this enabled to show in the 'Properties'.

To see how the individual ATM's are doing, please use the Strategies tab, those will be listed there, also with past realized PnL's.

Comment

I understand that "A TIF setting of DAY would hold an order valid for the regular cash market session", but I am trying to deduce for the ES (SP Emini), what time is the order sent by Ninja to clear all working orders set to "Day"? is it 3:14:59pm? or a little earlier to make sure the command is fully executed?

I understand that the PnL is tied to the account, but what I'm trying to say (and what I've heard from other traders using Ninja), is that it would be nice if you could add an additional choice to the Properties list that allowed me to display within each SuperDom the PnL for that particular SuperDom (since I change up strategies within the SuperDom, it's not always quickly simple to add up all the strategies in the Strategies tab). You all allow to Display only active strategy in a particular SuperDom, it would be nice to be able to also display only PnL for the particular SuperDom (suggestion for version 7.0).

Comment

sev888, if you use orders with time in force of day and they are resting at the exchange they would expire if unfilled as the cash session closes. If you want to use the 'Flatten All' / 'Close at time' feature it would be best to this like 1-2 minutes before the official to close to make sure it can clear.

Thanks for the suggestion on DOM PnL, I'll forward it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Irukandji  
            Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes