unstable period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unstable period

How does Ninjatrader know what the unstable period is (that which it will not show per the chart properties) for an indicator? What is NT's definition of "stable" ?

Can this be set for a custom indicator? Specifically, that period of time where the indicator is calculated but no plots are produced.

Thanks

Hello Lost Trader,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader's definition for a stable indicator is 20 historical bars.

You could automatically enable plotting of unstable indicators when programming a customer indicator. For more information on that procedure I refer you to our NinjaScript section of the support forum.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
      NinjaTrader's definition for a stable indicator is 20 historical bars.
      20 bars - fixed? Regardless of what any applied indicators are or do? Ouch!

For example, an SMA is not "stable" until N bars, where N = the period.
      I've read that an EMA should have N*2 bars. I am not sure of the WMA, though I would guess N+1.

So basically, the NT definition of unstable has nothing to do with reliability. Glad I asked. :-/ If this is something, users have to manually override, is there anyone who can discuss the "unrelaible" period of various calculations with me? My mind is stumbling over, say, a triple smoothed average with 3 different periods. x = EMA(WMA(WMA,a),b),c);

Thank you

Comment

Hi Lost Trader,

NinjaTrader does not factor in the calculations necessary. It will simply not plot until there are twenty bars of historical data. However, this a property that you can override in the Chart Properties by right clicking-->Properties--> Show Unstable periods is True.

As for your specific programming questions you can post at the NinjaScript section of our support forum. It is a thriving community of programmers who can answer any programming related questions you may have for your specific indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
          Hi Lost Trader,

NinjaTrader does not factor in the calculations necessary. It will simply not plot until there are twenty bars of historical data. However, this a property that you can override in the Chart Properties by right clicking-->Properties--> Show Unstable periods is True.

As for your specific programming questions you can post at the NinjaScript section of our support forum. It is a thriving community of programmers who can answer any programming related questions you may have for your specific indicator.
          http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...splay.php?f=15
          I was hoping that for the FESX which closes at 4pmEST and reopens 10 hrs later at 2am, that the unstable period would count from 2am as the first bar in say a 5 period EMA or the 14 period MFI etc...but it seems to run from before the prior day closed so there is no unstable period even though the typically large gap skews the first 15 minutes or so for indicators.

My chart properties are set for 6pm-4pm because sometimes i switch symbols to the ES--should i just use 2am-4pm?
          Last edited by simpletrades; 08-08-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simpletrades View Post
            I was hoping that for the FESX which closes at 4pmEST and reopens 10 hrs later at 2am, that the unstable period would count from 2am as the first bar in say a 5 period EMA or the 14 period MFI etc...but it seems to run from before the prior day closed so there is no unstable period even though the typically large gap skews the first 15 minutes or so for indicators.

My chart properties are set for 6pm-4pm because sometimes i switch symbols to the ES--should i just use 2am-4pm?
            Hi simpletrades,

Yes, you can try this to see if your indicators calculate correctly.
            Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
              Hi simpletrades,

Yes, you can try this to see if your indicators calculate correctly.
              how will i know--do they just not show on the chart for 5 bars on a 5 EMA or 14 bars for a 14 length MFI etc..?

Comment

Hi simpletrades,

To ensure that you get the correct indicator values you may want to limit the the number of bars back to start calculating from the outset. So when you format the data series for the chart you can specify zero as the number of bars back and then set the chart properties by right clicking-->Properties then change the Show unstable period for indicators to True.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bill2023, Yesterday, 08:51 AM
                8 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post bill2023  
                Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
                6 responses
                0 likes