Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stop limit?

Hi
    I currently use buy and sell stop orders. I understand that these will guarantee a fill but may be subject to slippage. I understand that a limit order should not be subject to slippage but may not get a fill. I understand that a market order will grab what is available and is subject to slippage.

How does the stop limit function? Is there a way to enter an order in a high volume environement whereby one can specify a fill within a certain range and if that is not available then trade is not executed?

thanks

Originally posted by lindsayf View Post
    Hi
    I currently use buy and sell stop orders. I understand that these will guarantee a fill but may be subject to slippage. I understand that a limit order should not be subject to slippage but may not get a fill. I understand that a market order will grab what is available and is subject to slippage.

How does the stop limit function? Is there a way to enter an order in a high volume environement whereby one can specify a fill within a certain range and if that is not available then trade is not executed?

thanks
    Hello lindsayf,

Thank you for your post.

A stop limit is a combination of a stop and limit order. When you stop price is hit, the limit order is triggerred the number of ticks away from the stop that you specify. This is a good way to specify a range that you are willing to get filled at. I suggest you do an internet search, or contact your broker for more information on the stop-limit order and how to use it.

More information on submitting orders here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ingOrders.html
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks
      I am confused as to the difference between a stop limit order and a simulated order ..they both seem to be based on the limit order being placed away from the trigger price.?

Comment

Originally posted by lindsayf View Post
        thanks
        I am confused as to the difference between a stop limit order and a simulated order ..they both seem to be based on the limit order being placed away from the trigger price.?
        Hi lindsay,

Are you referring to a simulated stop order? If so, a simulated stop order can be any type of stop order.

Please see this link for more information: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...verview12.html

Comment

thanks
          yes I have read that and am confused about simulated orders. Why is it that the volume trigger is based on 'less than' (in the examples in the help section) rather than 'more than'?

Also, how do I apply a simulated order trading off the chart rather than the DOM? It seems that the order can be placed (eg right click then select order type) but that it is not visible on the chart-this seems odd. And how to i set up a simulated market order as opposed to a simulated buy stop limit order - I would really like to understand and do that.

I will look forward to your help in understanding this..unfortunately I have to go to work now..will check in in 8 hours
          many thanks

Comment

Hello,

"yes I have read that and am confused about simulated orders. Why is it that the volume trigger is based on 'less than' (in the examples in the help section) rather than 'more than'?"
            - It was designed to be a volume floor with the idea that as volume leaves your stop level, you want your stop placed before all volume is gone.

"Also, how do I apply a simulated order trading off the chart rather than the DOM? It seems that the order can be placed (eg right click then select order type) but that it is not visible on the chart-this seems odd."
            -When you right click in Chart Trader and select "Simulated Order," a green box will appear below the bid/ask price labeled "so."

"And how to i set up a simulated market order as opposed to a simulated buy stop limit order - I would really like to understand and do that."
            -Unfortunatley this is not supported. The simulated order is only available for stop and stop-limit orders.

Comment

unsupported

So let me get this right - NT have an order available but there is no way to know/ get support as to how to enable it?
              Does that seem logical for a trading platform?

I get that you can't support the whole of C# but order entry - isn't that kind of fundamental to why people buy the platform?

Comment

Hello Mindset,

You can enable simulated stop orders by right clicking in the SuperDOM or ChartTrader and enable 'Simulated Order'.

In addition, please see the link below for more information regarding simulated stop orders.
                JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by George21, Today, 10:07 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post George21  
                Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
                8 responses
                0 likes