Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How do I import a symbol list of foreigen stocks from Yahoo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I import a symbol list of foreigen stocks from Yahoo?

Hi!
    I want to get EoD data from Yahoo for all the Swedish stocks for charting. I tried to import a list of Yahoo symbols with the "File/ Utilities/ Import stock symbol list", but that didn't work at all. Is there a way to to this? If not, when will it be supported by NT? (I have found a post on the forum on how to load each stock manually.)

Thanks!

Hello poseidon_sthlm,

Can you please tell what exchange you selected upon importing the stock list.

If possible, could you please send me a screenshot of the 'Import Stock Symbols' window.

Upon importing the list, did you receive an error message? If so, please tell me what the message exactly states.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You gave me hope. I was almost sure that this wasn't supported by NT.

I selected Nasdaq since neither the OMX exchange (that is the Exchange for Sweden, Denmark and Finland) nor the "default" exchange was an option in the drop down list. Futher the Swedish currency SEK and also DKK and NOK is missing in the currency list.

(OMX was purchased by Nasdaq som time ago and they are now called Nasdaq OMX: https://indexes.nasdaqomx.com/Europe.aspx )

Is it possible to add a new exchange and a new currency some way?
      Attached Files

Comment

It seems the stocks using '-B' are causing the error. When I used only AZN.ST and BOL.ST, the stock list imported successful.

Unfortunately you will need to add these '-B' stocks manually.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.
          I also made a test with the import function and it seams to be the caracter "-" in the Yahoo symbol that causes the problem. About 75% of the Swedish stocks have a "-" inte their Yahoo symbol, so that would take some time to add them manually. According to Yahoo Finance these stock symbols contain the "-", so it looks like that the problem to handel the "-" caracter in the import of a symbol list is in Ninja Trader. Can you fix this som how? Or can we make a work around by replacing this "-" with something else?

Comment

I have forwarded your suggestion to support the '-' symbol as per the master instrument name field to our development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Unfortunately there is no workaround. You can use HM.ST, INVE.ST, but you will need to manually modify the Yahoo symbol map to HM-B.ST instead of HM.ST.

Comment

Ok, thanks for your help.

Comment

Similar problem with BT Group at LSE

Hi there

I have similar problem with Yahoo quotes for BT Group. The instrument name is "BT-A.L" and because of the "-" limitation I am not able to obtain the data for this stock.
                Is there any way in Ninja Trader I could get the data for BT Group from Yahoo?
                Also, is "-" still going to be a problem with NT7?

I don't think we are the only people with this problem...

Many thanks

Comment

Hello,

I am jumping in here, but have you tried adding it using on-the-fly?:

Please delete any instruments you have added by going to Tools>Instrument Manager>select the instrument you added on the master list on the right>Delete.

Now:

- Open a DOM

- Type the symbol of the instrument into the instrument field

- Press Enter on your keyboard. This adds the instrument to your master list in the Instrument Manager, it is call on-the-fly.

- Now follow this link to add the instrument your Default list:
                  http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/HelpGuideV6/AddRemoveFromList.html
                  DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It worked!

Thanks Ben,
                    It worked and now I have access to BT data.
                    As for DOM - I am new to Ninja Trader and I wasn't sure which DOM do you mean but it seams it works only with Dynamic SuperDOM (and doesn't work with Static SuperDOM)

Many thanks again for a quick response!

Comment

Hello,

You will only have access to one DOM at a time, and you will only have access to the Dynamic DOM with a free license.

You are welcome!
                      DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

How can I edit the description filed?

Hi again!
                        I have now succeded in adding all the Nordic stocks and indicies to the Master Instrument List with the "on the fly"- method. The data connection with Yahoo works fine. But I would also like to edit the Description filed in the Insrument manager and replace the text "On-the-fly created stock" with a better description of the intsrument. When I try to do this i get an error message (attached). How can I edit the description? Is it possible to do this directly in the NT Access data base?
                        Attached Files

Comment

You can go to Tools > Instrument Manager and edit the Master instrument as needed - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...struments.html

We don't advise attempting to modify the NinjaTrader.mdb file directly / externally.
                          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My problem is that I can't edit the description field the usual way when the Yahoo stock symbol contains a hyphen "-" or a "^", which is the case for the majority of Swedish stocks and indicies. Then I get the error message attached in the prevoius post.

Comment

poseidon_sthlm, please post a screenshot of the swedisch symbol setup you try using. Thanks.
                              BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post terofs
                              by terofs

Started by nandhumca, Today, 03:41 PM
                              0 responses