Performance Issues with my current PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Issues with my current PC

How many threads does NT use, and would NT take advantage of eight cores if it were available to it, and is it possible for NT to run on Server 2008?
    I am having some performance issues with my system, if I run any more than 3-4 instances of my script each trading different instruments, NT often freezes or crashes. I suspect the sheer number of loops overwhelms the CPU. Running just 1 or 2 instances on the other hand has no issues whatsoever and my PC remains absolutely stable.
    I’m using a fairly standard PC:
    Intel 2 Duo CPU T8100 2.10Ghz
    4 GB RAM
    32 Bit OS Vista Home Premium
    I am looking to upgrade, I can opt for a top of the range Dell workstation or a Cray LX1 LC with 8 to 16 cores.
    At some stage I will need to run up to 20 instances of my script which I suspect a Dell could struggle with.
    I would very much appreciate your thoughts, and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by John833; 08-24-2009, 02:52 AM.

Hello John833,

NinjaTrader 6.5 supports multi-core/multi-processor hardware. NinjaTrader internally supports multiple threads of executions which would be run by the Windows OS on different cores/processor. However, NinjaTrader 6.5 is not optimized to make full usage of a multi-core/ multi-processor hardware.

NinjaTrader 7 will come with optimized multi core/multi-processor support. This would allow you to make full usage of a multi-core/ multi-processor hardware on backtesting multiple instruments or running multiple iterations of a strategy optimization at the same time.

However, due to the nature of the Window OS, NinjaTrader 7 would not be able to fully use all available multi-cores/multi-processors at any given time. More information can be found at the link below.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply,
      I currently have no need to back test or to optimize. But I am trying to find is the most stable hardware configuration for running multiple live automated trading strategies on NT with different instruments.
      Are there limitations in NT7 running multiple strategies, or will it be a limitation of the hardware?
      Am I to understand that v6.5 will not make full use of multi core / multi processor hardware but v7 will?
      And to avoid any confusion are you saying, v7 will be fully optimized to run live automated trading strategies on a multi core / multi processor hardware, and so therefore the issues I have been having should be solved if I use a machine with the same?
      Also can you confirm that v7 will run on Windows Server 2008?
      In your opinion is it better to upgrade to a top of the range Dell workstation or a C1X. Will a C1X it be worth the difference in stability and performance or will NT7 not utilise its full performance?

Comment

- NT7 will use multi-core better than NT6.5.
        - we haven't test NT6.5/7 on Windows2008 server, but we do not expect any issues
        - unfortunately we are no hardware experts, thus we are unable to recommend a particular hardware

Comment

Thanks for your reply

Comment

Dierk, can you tell me how many threads NT uses when running live automated scripts, and if it is 4 or less can another instance of Ninja Trader be started on an 8 core blade?
            Last edited by John833; 08-31-2009, 09:23 PM.

Comment

NT can run on a machine with ANY numbers of cores. The numbers of threads used at any particular time is irrelevant in that regard.

Comment

I am using the I975 Intel CPU right now -

when I monitor CPU activity in the task manager, I see hardly any cpu activity - even when running multiple strategies -

the calculations themselves seem to be rather minor.
                What causes the whole thing to slow down and crash is probably a different cause, memory issues, HHD activity that seems to slow down NT or some other NT6.5 related inefficient processes.
                (even when NT is about to lock up, rest of windows /programs run just nicely)

Lets hope NT7 is able to handle a bit more multiple strategies at the same time.

cheers

Comment

Dierk, apologies if I am not making myself clear.
                  I am sure that NT can run on a machine with any number of cores, but can it utilise all the cores?

It is all very well for you to say NT can run on a machine with any number of cores, but if NT only utilizes 4 cores out of 8 for example, your statement is still true, but 4 cores are not utilized by NT.

So, can you confirm that on an 8 or 16 core machine that NT will split the workload evenly to ALL 8 or 16 cores?

Thanks in advance.
                  Last edited by John833; 09-01-2009, 02:05 PM.

Comment

>> can you confirm that on an 8 or 16 core machine that NT will split the workload evenly to ALL 8 or 16 cores?
                    No, I can't confirm.

Comment

Hello Dierk, I have bought a lifetime license of NT, have spent significant time developing my script and I am now getting some good results from your platform which I rate very highly.

In all due respect since you are one of the developers I would have hoped you could explain a little more than a 1 liner, as I am not asking anything unreasonable.

I am preparing to upgrade my machine and all I would like to know is would NT running on a 4 processing core machine (for example) be more efficient utilizing all processing cores, than NT running on an 8 processing core machine? And if this is the case can another instance of NT be started on the other 4 cores?
                      Last edited by John833; 09-02-2009, 12:59 AM.

Comment

>> I am preparing to upgrade my machine and all I would like to know is would NT running on a 4 processing core machine (for example) be more efficient utilizing all processing cores, than NT running on an 8 processing core machine?
                        On NT6.5 you likely would not see any improvement on using an 8 core vs a 4 core. On NT7 your optimization runs and basket backtests would benefit from an 8 core.

You only can run 1 instance of NT 7 or NT6.5 at any time on a machine. However, you can run NT7 and NT6.5 the same time on the same machine, since they are different version.

Comment

>> On NT6.5 you likely would not see any improvement on using an 8 core vs a 4 core. On NT7 your optimization runs and basket backtests would benefit from an 8 core.

I have no need to do any further optimization or backtests. So would I be correct to assume on NT7 I would also see little improvement running live automated trading strategies on an 8 core vs a 4 core?

Comment

On live strategies 8 cores would not yield any improvement vs 4 cores.

Comment

Does it mean that live trading uses:
                              a. 1 Core
                              b. 2 Cores
                              c. 3 Cores
                              d. 3.5 Cores

What?
                              What in PC hardware will make NT run faster? RAM, Clock speed, what??

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred