Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume charts

Testing NT with IB data.
    I do not seem to be able to have more than just a few bars when I try to get a volume chart. It updates Ok, but the chart goes back some 20-30 bars and that's it.
    Any idea how I can overcome this?
    Thanks

imported post

Volume bars are based off of tick level data. We do not support IB historical tick data due to their limited support of it.

You could look at alternate data sources. OpenTick is one we support that is free of charge.

Ray
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

Thanks
      I have a charting software that can download historical data from IB (I can have volume chart from IB weeks back)
      Now, can I import that file into NT, put it on a NT chart and then have NT chart to update it real time with IB data?

Comment

imported post

We do support importing of tick data. Further information is located here - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...V6/Import.html

Ray

Comment

imported post

Thanks
          Would I be able to get volume charts (with decent hisotry) on NT if I link it to Tradestation?

Comment

imported post

No.

Comment

imported post

Damn. One more and then I give up. How about eSignal? Open tick does not cut, as they just do US makets.

Comment

imported post

eSignal will work just fine.

Comment

imported post

OK Thanks

Comment

I use eSignal as my datafeed into NT. I would like to try out volume charts for the eminis, but I understand that there is a significant difference in the charts bases on whether the volume is capped or not for each bar.

It appears that the volume is capped (the same amount appears for each bar), but could you tell me if the eSignal volume data is that you process is capped with carryover? In other words, if there is excess volume for a given bar, is that excess carried over to the next bar, or is it thrown away?

Thanks,
                    Bru

Comment

Are you referring to price bars formed from volume based intervals? If yes, then volume for each bar will always be the same. Unused volume per trade is carried over to the next bar.

Comment

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear in asking the question. But that is the exact answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Comment

I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but I have one more question ...

My broker is IB and, for testing purposes, I currently have datafeeds from both IB and eSignal. According to another thread, it was stated that IB's tick data is quite different from eSignal's (in essence, IB does not send valid tick data).

Therefore, based on the differences in the two datafeeds, would there be any significant differences in the volume-based information from the two? Would you be aware of NT's charts (bar frequency) based on IB's volume to be invalid as compared to a datafeed from eSignal?

I displayed both and they seemed to look the same, but I would rather have your opinion on this.

Thanks,
                          Bru

Comment

>> Therefore, based on the differences in the two datafeeds, would there be any significant differences in the volume-based information from the two? Would you be aware of NT's charts (bar frequency) based on IB's volume to be invalid as compared to a datafeed from eSignal?
                            Absolutely. Due to the nature of how IB "generates" real-time data I would not be surprises to see huge differences.

Comment

Sorry to jump in.. but I have a bit of experience here...

- Tick charts baed on IB vs Esignal will certainly look different, due to the way IB batches up trades into a single update.

- Volume based charts should be very similar. They both report the same volume of trades. Esig may do it in 10 updates, while IB may consolidate those 10 into just 1, but the volume counts will be the same. Things may look 'odd' due to other reasons, such as the chart start/end times not being the same etc.

I run volume charts off the IB feed with NT just fine. (if you don't count the odd backfill problem)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Waxavi
                              by Waxavi

Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes