Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninjatrader6.5 vs. Metastock Professional

Dear Team,

Would you be able to list some of the advantages your software has that are either unique or the same as Metastock Professional. [for example, NT cannot convert intraday data to End of day although this will be solved in NT7 while Metastock Pro can, on the other hand, Metastock can handle only 65,000 records]. [Please list your advantages]

Originally posted by mazahreh View Post
    Dear Team,

Would you be able to list some of the advantages your software has that are either unique or the same as Metastock Professional. [for example, NT cannot convert intraday data to End of day although this will be solved in NT7 while Metastock Pro can, on the other hand, Metastock can handle only 65,000 records]. [Please list your advantages]
    That's like comparing a Formula 1 racing car with a family car! Are you serious?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by mazahreh View Post
      Dear Team,

Hello Mazahreh,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately we are not trained in the features of Metastock, so I will not be able to list advantages/disadvantages.

I suggest to ask some other users who may be more familiar, or try elitetrader.com where products are evaluated by users.
      Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
        Hello Mazahreh,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately we are not trained in the features of Metastock, so I will not be able to list advantages/disadvantages.

I suggest to ask some other users who may be more familiar, or try elitetrader.com where products are evaluated by users.
        Thank you for the link. I will check it for sure.

Comment

I've been using Metastock EOD for about three years, and Ninja for about three months. They are very different tools.

This week Metastock released v11 which I just downloaded. On the face of it it looks evolutionary rather than revolutionary, which is dissapointing. I'll post more further into the weekend.

I signed up for Metastock originally to help with my macro discretionary portfolio... spotting what works over monthly and weekly timeframes. The depth and breadth of the data provided by Reuters simply rocks.

I now use Ninja for writing and testing much shorter term automated strategies. The average holding period of the one I'm testing now is about 22 minutes.

With that, I now need much more historical data for Ninja than is provided by Zenfire. It looks like I can export, for example, daily es continous contract data to a text file, run a script to delete some columns, and run another script to change commas to ";". A pain. NT7 may have that functionality built in for importing historical data from Metastock. That's one of my projects for this weekend.

So I'm at crossroads... do I sign up for a proper data package for Ninja to get the data I need natively, or do I upgrade my Metastock EOD subscription to Pro and use it with NT for historical data only? I am very much leaning towards the upgrade. That would also give me QuoteCenter. 5 years ago QuoteCenter was called BridgeStation and was an institutional product that competed with Reuters and Bloomberg for desk space.

If only NT could read data from Reuters QuoteCenter (or Bloomberg or Reuters Equities 3000)...

I have no problem paying for data, and Reuters/Metastock data works for me. I wish I was at stage where I had a $500 monthly data budget and could chose more than one. Alas... $200 is about my limit right now.

Other things to keep in mind;

- The Metastock SDK is sold seperately.
          - The Metastock user forum is dead. Take a look. Major software release last week and there is like one post about it.
          - No brokerage API connectivity
          - C++ I think if you use the SDK
          - DDE Server on the Pro version only
          - Backtesting comparable to NT only with a third-party add-in

In the end they are all tools. Matlab and R are tools optmized for specific tasks, Ninja and Metastock/QuoteCenter are tools optimized for specific tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by MXASJ View Post
            I

I

If only NT could read data from Reuters QuoteCenter (or Bloomberg or Reuters Equities 3000)...

I

You will find a free utility at volumedigger.com to fetch QC data to NT.Hope this serves your purpose.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post algospoke  
            Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post maybeimnotrader