Repairing DB..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing DB..

How often should I be utilizing the "Repair DB" function and even the "Reset DB" function? I've noticed that the NinjaTrader.mdb can grow quite large, and so I'm having to Repair DB daily and Reset DB every couple days... is that normal, is that what you reccomend?

sev888, there's no general rule for this - normally it's not needed until advised by our support team, you could perhaps repair and compact it weekly as part of the backup process / maintenance. How large is your DB file right now?

NinjaTrader 7 will use a new state of the art SQL database technology - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

my NinjaTrader.mdb was around 100,000 kb, and then when I repaired the db, it went down to about 42,000 kb (I have about 15 ATM stored as templates, figured maybe this took up space), and the .mdb file tends to increase everytime I run ATMs on the Sim101 account, so I Repair db daily now. I recently did the Reset db, and that knocked my .mdb file down to about 10,000 kb... so maybe a lot of that size was stored up waste?

So you're saying NT 7 won't have these issues?

Thanks..

Comment

I'm not sure what you refer to as 'issues' - this behavior is expected as the db file stores ATM strategy templates and the related (even if in sim) historical trade execution data. Resetting it, will cause the DB to delete the historical trade data, thus you see the size dropping as you reported. A DB file of 100 Mb's should not cause issues to our findings. That being said NinjaTrader 7's SQL database will be higher performing according to our tests.

Comment

my DB is ca 760.000 MB - the 2. time only i had a problem with it now.
          do i run better with resetting it with this size ?
          give us some ideas / numbers please.

Comment

max-td, a DB of this size may slow things down - so if you don't want to loose historical chart data and created ATM templates (by using a completely new one), then please use the Reset option under Tools > Options > Misc to attempt to reduce its size. This will clear the historical trade execution and performance data from the DB.

Comment

ok - if this really makes sense i will do it.
              the problem is - as you mentioned - the ATMs - i dont wanna loose them or rebuild all this.
              is this ATM-handling changed in NT7 ?

Comment

max, with resetting the db you wouldn't loose the templates, only when you start with a fully fresh file. NinjaTrader 7 will not change this behavior.

Comment

OK - my DB is reseted and has 480 MB now (was 760 MB before).
                  so one day i have to make a new DB because its too big + then MUST rebuild all my ATMs+ StopStrategys.
                  Same if i move to NT7 someday + if i dont want to start with that big old DB.
                  i must write my all ATMs + StopStrategys on a piece of paper, delete the old DB and setup every single ATM new again in the new DB..
                  hm, a little bit i cant believe that thats really the way this is handled in NT.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by techgetgame, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post techgetgame  
                  Started by sephichapdson, Yesterday, 11:36 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post sephichapdson