Strategy not loading or running properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy not loading or running properly

I'm pretty sure that the automated strategy that I'm running is not loading after hitting the "Start" button.

Here's more detail:
    1) I have print commands throughout the strategy but the logger isn't moving other than displaying the statement 'Initialize' when the strategy is initially loaded. I've attempted to use try...catch but the logger shows nothing for the strategy in question.

2) I'm using the Gain data feed. The feed appears to be working properly as the live charts are updating correctly.

3) The strategy was working properly yesterday.

4) A test showed that Ninja's canned SampleMA strategy is working properly with the Gain data feed.

5) I run this strategy on all of my FX pairs so please respond ASAP.

Thx,
    Lou

Please ensure you have enough bars to meet min bars required for all series used by the strategy.

Suggest you add a print to the very top of OnBarUpdate() to see if it is processing. Check Control Center logs for errors too.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,
      The logger decided to start working again and the strategy appears to be okay for the moment. This is really unusual because I didn't try to fix anything. However, the platform is acting really buggy - it just crashed on me - and it's been buggy all day.

Here are the other problems I've had with Ninja today and I'm still having:
      1) The platform just crashed while trying to load a strategy.
      2) Ninja has been very slow to establish data feed connections. It's taking a few minutes to connect to Gain and IQFeed.
      3) The charts in my existing workspaces have stopped updating and I can't even open the workspace I use most frequently because the charts just hang there for several minutes as the wait to get populated

4) BTW, how do I check the "Control Center logs"?

What do you suggest that I do to stabilize the platform and fix the charts?

-Lou

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
      Please ensure you have enough bars to meet min bars required for all series used by the strategy.

Suggest you add a print to the very top of OnBarUpdate() to see if it is processing. Check Control Center logs for errors too.

Comment

Lou,

Have you added any new scripts that are unstable? At this point in time you could try deleting your workspaces and starting with a new one. You can check your Control Center logs by going to the Control Center logs tab.

Comment

Josh,
          No, I haven't added any new scripts since last week. But, if I did, how would I know that they are "unstable"? What should I be looking for here?

The Control Center logs have been unpredictable. When launching a strategy sometimes there's output in the logs and sometimes it just says "Initializing". Any thoughts on why the Control Center log is doing this?

You can disregard my question on using the Control Center log. I use it all day long. I thought you were referring to something else.

I haven't tried deleting my workspaces so I'll do that next.

-Lou

Lou,

Have you added any new scripts that are unstable? At this point in time you could try deleting your workspaces and starting with a new one. You can check your Control Center logs by going to the Control Center logs tab.

Comment

Lou,

You would know scripts are unstable if you have problems when you start using it.

You could try resetting your database and rebuilding your workspaces.

Comment

What does resetting my database do to my data, indicators, etc? What could I lose?

Can scripts initially be stable then become unstable later? In this case, I added a new strategy last week. It worked fine for the first 2 days but on the 3rd day both the platform and the strategy have been malfunctioning. This sounds like a platform issue to me but I thought it was worth asking you just in case.

Lou,

You would know scripts are unstable if you have problems when you start using it.

You could try resetting your database and rebuilding your workspaces.

Comment

bluelou, resetting the database would just clear all historical trade activity data and compact the database. If you don't start with a completely fresh one by renaming it outside of NinjaTrader, then it would keep historical data and ATM strategy templates you created.

It can indeed be that a coding issue shows only after some time has passed as for example very specific constellations need to be met in order to raise the error - but in this case you should see an info the log tab.

To clarify - the SampleMACrossOver strategy works without any issues on your end?
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Bertrand,
                  What is the advantage of resetting the database? How does this work to resolve any issues? I'll give it a try but I'd like to know how resetting the database helps matters.

Also, yes, the SampleMACrossOver strategy is working. Furthermore, my strategy is working again but since I didn't do anything to fix it I want to try to prevent it from failing again.

Thx,
                  Lou

Comment

Lou,

There is nothing we can tell you at this point in time since the source of the issue was never determined. Resetting DB clears out any potential issues that may arise from the DB.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DJ888
                    by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                    0 responses