How to add stock to the instrument list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to add stock to the instrument list

NT connected to IB. I'd like to use FAS/FAZ pair but can't find them in the instruments list. How can I simulate trades/strategies with these ETFs?

Hello Jim2512Trader,

Thank you for your post.

If you wish to add an equity open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Adding FAS to Instrument list

I am running into a similar issue. I want to trade FAS using NinjaTrader (with IB as my broker). I have verified that I am receiving stock data with IB and when I go into IB's Trader Workstation, I can type FAS into the order entry and I get data.

When I go into NT and add an instrument, I have to manually create it (not found in a search). Once I manually add it, I can't get FAS data to pull up on the DOM.

What am I doing wrong and what should I check for?

Thanks!
      Daniel

Comment

Hi neoikon,

Thank you for your post.

I have attached some screenshots that will show the correct settings for you to receive data for the FAS within NinjaTrader from IB.

If that does not work can you please let me know what exchange you see listed in TWS for the FAS.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

My settings look as yours. I tried using just the "default" as the exchange and that didn't work. I also added Arca, Ise, Island, and Nyse as exchanges, since those are the ones I could match up from TWS. TWS shows ARCA, BEX, CBSX, DRCTEDGE, EDGEA, ISE, ISLAND, LAVA, and TRACKECN as exchanges. The description shows "Stock (ARCA)" for FAS.

What do you think?

Daniel

Comment

neoikon,

Since TWS shows ARCA you will want to change the exchange to match what is in IB. Then in NinjaTrader you will want to add the newly updated instrument to a list. If you have FAS currently on a list you will have to remove it for the updated exchange information to stand corrected in the list.

Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
            • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
            • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
            • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
            • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

Comment

Originally posted by neoikon View Post
              Thanks for the quick response!

My settings look as yours. I tried using just the "default" as the exchange and that didn't work. I also added Arca, Ise, Island, and Nyse as exchanges, since those are the ones I could match up from TWS. TWS shows ARCA, BEX, CBSX, DRCTEDGE, EDGEA, ISE, ISLAND, LAVA, and TRACKECN as exchanges. The description shows "Stock (ARCA)" for FAS.

What do you think?

Daniel

I just unchecked all exchanges and only left "default" and ARCA (due to what the description showed) and now it seems to work! This time, when I added FAS to the instrument list on the left, I also selected ARCA as the exchange (on the main Instrument Manger screen). Perhaps that was the trick?

Thanks again for your help!
              Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
                neoikon,

Since TWS shows ARCA you will want to change the exchange to match what is in IB. Then in NinjaTrader you will want to add the newly updated instrument to a list. If you have FAS currently on a list you will have to remove it for the updated exchange information to stand corrected in the list.

Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
                • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
                • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
                • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
                • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list
                Looks like I spoke too soon. As you mention, just the simple act of removing and re-adding to the list was the trick. I removed and re-added once again (with default as the exchange) and it is still working. Thus, routing via the smart routing system, as you mention.

Thanks!
                Daniel

Comment

Hi,

Your data from TWS does not have smart routing. If it did the exchange would read as SMART and the default exchange in NinjaTrader would work.

Since you see ARCA you will need to define ARCA within the Instrument to make sure that it pulls the data from IB from that particular exchange.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by rocketman7, Today, 01:00 AM
                  0 responses
                  1 view
                  0 likes
                  Last Post rocketman7  
                  Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                  2 responses