NT 6.5 database question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 6.5 database question

I recently had a PC fail on me and I was able to backup the hard drive onto a DVD. I'd like to take the NT 6.5 database that I've saved on the DVD and merge it into a copy of NT 6.5 that I have on a backup PC.

Which files do I need and how do I go about getting the data off of the DVD and into the copy of NT that I have on my backup PC?

Hi BlueLou,

Thank you for your post.

Is the backup a copy of the file folder itself or a backup created using the procedure outlined at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ABackupArchive
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kyle,
      I have a backup version using the procedure in the link. The last backup was on 09-07-2009. I'd like to consider the problem from 2 perpsectives since I'm not sure how complete the 09-07-2009 backup is. Could you tell me how to merge the 09-07-2009 backup into an existing database?

And, seperately, how would I go about getting data in the database that hasn't been saved according to the procedure in the link?

-Lou

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
      Hi BlueLou,

Thank you for your post.

Is the backup a copy of the file folder itself or a backup created using the procedure outlined at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ABackupArchive

Comment

Hi Lou,

Thank you for your reply.

To restore from the backup, you will need to use the procedure outlined here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ABackupArchive

For the folders, you could try moving those in to the correct locations. I am, however, not able to guarantee that this would work.

Comment

Kyle,
          Actually, I just read the help file on how to restore a backup. It looks pretty straightforward. My next question is if I restore a backup will it overwrite what is already in the database or will it merge and dedupe the data?

And, there's still the other issue. What can be done to retrieve data that's on the hard drive in the NT database that hasn't undergone an NT backup?

Comment

Hi BlueLou,

If the backup contains the database file, the existing file will be overwritten during the restore.

Comment

So, it sounds like the best thing to do to preserve both databases would be to put the backup database from the broken PC onto a new PC with a new version of NT and then pick and choose the files I want by using Tools->Historical Data ->Export. Is this what you would suggest or is there an easier way to merge the 2 databases?

Also, what are my choices when it comes to data in the database file that hasn't been backed up? Can I copy that database into a new version of NT? Or, will NT reject that approach?

Comment

Hi Lou,

Unfortunately, no better method exists to merge two databases in to a single file. You will need to export the historical data and re-import it.

Not sure if moving the database file in to the My Documents > NinjaTrader 6.5 > DB folder will work, but it is worth a shot.

Comment

Kyle,
                  Thanks for the warning that there's no data merge. I had assumed that this feature existed.

-Lou

Comment

FWIW, the file restore of the NT 6.5 database backup failed but just copying the entire old database file saved on DVD into the db/ subdirectory of a new version of NT 6.5 worked perfectly.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post GLFX005
                    by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                    2 responses