IB/NT: question on positions held for more days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB/NT: question on positions held for more days

I did not quite understand whether a strategy created on NT that should last several days could be maintained on NT or has to be re-submitted every day. I trade index and bond futures. I have used the NT simulation so far.

In particular:

a) I put a strategy on, GTC, order is filled. I shut down IB and NT at the end of the day, log on next day and the strategy should still be there, right?

b) Is this true also if order is not filled (i.e. I do not have a position on yet?)

c) I put a strategy on, GTC, order is filled. Then I go away for some days, not logging on to NT and IB at all. If the price hits my stops and targets during this time, will the strategy still be there and working? In other words, do I have to be logged on to NT and IB in order for the strategy to work?

d) If I have to re-submit the strategy, what actions should I take?

e) Assuming the strategy stay active in NT, if I am away and log on to IB (but not NT) and I close a position manually on IB, what happens to the position on NT?

Thanks

imported post

a) Right
    b) Yes
    c) Your orders are working but any automation that the strategy is responsible for (auto trail for example) will not be working when offline.
    d) Create a new strategy in either the basic or superdom window, press the button that shows the account position and select 'create position strategy'
    e) The strategy in NT that was managing the position will be removed
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

Thank you for this. However I am not quite sure yet.

I am still using the SIM version. Yesterday I went long on NQ with the Superdome entry with a stop at 1524. I then switched off IB and NT and the PC for the night. This morning I noticed that although during the night NQ touched several times 1524 (and 1523.5) my position is still open and the stop is still there. It is a fixed stop, not a trailing or BE or anything.

From this it appears that I should keep all programs running all the time in order for the strategies to work. This is not what I understood from your last reply. Could you clarify please? Thank you

Comment

imported post

Running in simulation the positions/orders are managed on your PC. Shutting down will shut down simulation.

Live trading, orders and positions are held at IB or at the exchange. NT needs to be running to implement any of the automated features such as autotrail. Do not plan to leave NT on overnight as there is a broker shut down period.

RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by timmbbo, 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post grayfrog  
        Started by Lumbeezl, 01-11-2022, 06:50 PM
        30 responses
        1 like