Data Feed Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Feed Freeze

I am using ninjatrader charting with a demo account from Zenfire Mirus futures. I have the last version of ninja (6.5.1000.13)

While I am using a range bar for charting the ES contract, ninja trader freezes (not the range bar chart, but all charts) for 4-5 seconds many times during the day, when price movements are fast.

I completely uninstalled ninjatrader and reinstalled it on two different computers (one computer with windows XP, pent 4 3ghz, 2gb ram, other comp with windows vista, amd dual core 2.1ghz, 3gb ram) and could not solve the problem. Though on the faster computer (vista one), the recovery from the freeze is faster.

Interestingly, this does not happen when running a range bar chart for the 6E contract, or the CL contract.

So, is there a specific problem with charting the ES with a range bar chart?

Thanks

Zaza

Hi zaza5000,

Thank you for your post.

Please review the performance tips. The PCs you mentioned meet the minimum requirements but it may still be that due to the increased demand based on high volume markets causes the charts to freeze.

Also, you can try removing, repairing the DB and then recreating the data connection as a way of resetting the account connection.
    • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections--> highlight the connection--> click Remove
    • Then go to the Tools menu--> select Options--> select the Misc tab--> click Repair DB
    • Restart NinjaTrader
    • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections and recreate the account connection.

The following link will take you to a page that details the steps required for recreating a connection to your Zen-Fire based brokerage.
    Click here to take me to the Zen-Fire Connection Guide
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ryan,

Thank you for your reply.

I will try to follow all of the performance tips however, to experiment today, I had only one ES range bar chart on one computer, and on the other (and slower) computer, I had about 10 charts that I look at with all of the indicators on the ES chart on the other computer, on all of the 10 charts (3 indicators in total anyway). The ninjatrader on the first computer with only (and only) the ES range bar chart would freeze, while the other one would work perfectly.

I switched the computers around, and in both cases, ninjatrader freezes only on the computer with the ES range bar chart.

This freezing issue started either last week of September / first week of October, or Monday 5th of october, and could not solve it even by switching computers, reinstalling ninja completeley etc.

So, my question is, is there something wrong with ninja range bar charts? Because I know there is nothing wrong with my internet or both computers.

Comment

zaza5000, please let us know how applying the performance tips works out. Since Range bar charts are based on 1 tick data, there would have stronger performance requirements than for example an array of minute charts, that being said the chart styles and bars series creation has be overhauled and optimized for NinjaTrader 7, which results in a significant performance increase according to inhouse and first beta tests - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html

Also, please keep in mind tick aggregation settings for CMEGroup changed on Sunday 4th, which results in more ticks being send out at a faster pace.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So far so good, no data freezes this morning (though not so much jumpy price action in ES this morning =) ). I made adjustments for all of the performance tips and repaired the DB and recreated the connection.

But now that I unchecked "store real time bar data," is there a way to have ninja save all of the bars when I exit ninja and save all of my workspaces? I exited ninja around 11am this morning and when i restarted it, the data for today was not on the charts (before connecting of course).

Thanks

Comment

Hello zaza500,

Glad to hear that it is working more smoothly.

Unfortunately, you will only store data in your database if that option is enabled. This may not be necessary if you have a data provider that offers historical data, as they can provide you with the backfill of the data that is not being recorded. Please see the following link.

Comment

What if I have unchecked during the day, but check it before I close ninja?

Will it save all of the day on the charts?

Comment

zaza5000,

The data will not be stored in the database unless that is checked as the data comes in. Otherwise, the data that comes in real-time will not be stored in the database.

This is just one of many performance tips. If you've done many others you can try re-enabling and seeing if that makes a difference.

Comment

Ok, no big deal. I highly appreciate your help.

Final question. If I store real time data on another computer that i don't trade with, can I transfer this historical data to another computer in the future?

If so, how?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes, this would be possible, either with the import / export data feature or by moving the database file over. However ZenFire supports historical data access, so I'm not sure why you would need this step then.
                    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by cre8able, Today, 01:16 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post cre8able  
                    Started by chbruno, 04-24-2024, 04:10 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes