Saved backtest chart data disappears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saved backtest chart data disappears

Hi guys, When I load saved backtest results, my files still exist and all trade and summary data for a particular backtest is displayed, but the chart window (i.e. actual price bars, indicators and buy/sell signals) is completely blank. The time and price axes seem to show the correct historical range for the particular backtest but there's just no graphical data. There is no problem when I run a new backtest with the same parameters. Everything displays nicely until I save and try and reopen the file. Any ideas? regards

trader_rick, tried it quickly on my end and could reproduce - chart data for the Strategy Analyzer comes up if I restart NT and just open the saved back test result > which version are you using? Is this the latest 6.5.1000.14 production one?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, I'm using 6.5.1000.14.

If it makes a difference, I am using contract data which I can no longer get from my data provider (as it's too old) but the data is stored in NT's historical data base.

Also, if I run a backtest and then select another contract (e.g. suppose I've run the backtest on ES 03-09 and now select ES 06-09 in the Analyzer but do nothing else) then an hourglass appears for a few seconds and all the chart data disappears without my doing anything else. If I select the original contract again, the chart remains blank (other than grid lines and correct axes labels) and to get it back I need to re-run the backtest.

I've tried rebooting but to no effect. I've also tried repairing the database but to no effect.

The only thing I can think of now is to uninstall NT completely and/or reset the database but I don't want to lose the saved strategy data I've accumulated. Is there anyway to store this outside of NT and then re-import it?

Thanks

Comment

trader_rick, thanks for the reply, on which contract (if current front month or not) should not matter as long as the needed data is present in the database - have you tried confirming this on regular charts and by exporting it via Tools > Historical Data > Export?

This would also be the way to save it, if you want to completely reinstall NT fresh and start with a fresh database file, too (done by removing MyDocuments folder prior to reinstall).

If you like, please send me your logs via the Help > Mail to Support feature before the reinstall, I'll review those then for clues as to why you see this.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bertrand. I have located the source of the problem. It only occurs in those strategies which use the DrawRegion( ) function. Please see if you can reproduce this. thanks

Comment

Thanks trader_rick - do you see any log errors when this happens?

Comment

No - the logs remain clean.

Comment

Could unfortunately not reproduce here, test strategy with DrawRegion call worked well, it would also be expected that you need to rerun the backtest on a different contract, just switching the contract would generate the new chart window, but no rerun it.

Comment

Hi Bertrand, Well, the effect is definitely there. If it helps, I am using the long version of the overloaded function signature of DrawRegion( ) to colour in between 2 Bollinger Bands. In the meantime, I have created a preprocessor compilation switch which will remove the code containing DrawRegion( ) when I want to examine my historical strategy results. The chart data is then displayed normally. regards

Comment

Sorry we were not able to reproduce. Do you have a reproducible simple as possible strategy you could share?
                    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have attached a minimal strategy which reproduces this problem. The strategy never actually enters any orders but does draw regions correctly when you run a backtest. However, if you then try saving the backtest and re-open the saved file, the graphical data disappears.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Please repost as a zip file.
                        DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

zip file attached
                          Attached Files

Comment

trader_rick,

Likely culprit could be the use of Closes[0]. When you are in Initialize() it does not recognize the bar indexes yet.
                            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                            10 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Leafcutter  
                            Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes