General MA questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General MA questions

1.) # of bars to look back property and it's used for the Data Series Type and Value settings for an indicator. Let's go with the default setting of 100 bars for look back. Now we add the same indicator with type equal to Minute three times, varying the Value each time. The values are 1, 5, and 15 representing 1-minute, 5-minute and 15-minute time intervals. When the columns are being calculated, does each column have it's unique look back? In other words, the 1-minute column will be looking back using 100 1-minute bars. The 5-minute column will be looking back using 100 5-minute bars and the 15-minute will be using a look back of 100 15-minute bars.

2.) Columns can only display numeric data. String/text data can not be displayed in a column.

Thanks

1) Correct
    2) Incorrect, see e.g. Instrument column which displays a string

Comment

Regarding #2. If I understand correctly (big if). in the Initialize() method I would code the normal - Add(new Plot(Color.Red, PlotStyle.Line, "Plot0"). Then in the OnBarUpdate() method I could say: Plot0.Set("Up"); Then when I add this indicator to a MA column I would see - Up.

Comment

Not sure I follow. Your question was about MA columns which you can not code. Indicators only have double series no string series.

Comment

? intraday 60minute indicator settings for ma ?

question:

i have a daily indicator(macd) in ma using daily sma(4) as the data load,
          with onbarupdate set to true --- this returns data correctly

and i tried

a daily indicator(macd) in ma using daily sma(4) as the data load,
          with onbarupdate set to false --- this returns data correctly

BUT

when using an intraday indicator(macd) in ma using intraday(60min) sma(4) as the data load, with onbarupdate set to false -- this returns incorrect data

...and with onbarupdate set to true --- this also returns incorrect data.

what settings shouldbe used to correctly show intraday 60min data? in ma?

Comment

Hello mystiq,

In this case, how are you determining the calculations are incorrect? If comparing against charts, you will want to make sure all the settings are aligned. Commonly overlooked is the session template applied. For Chart's this is set in the Right Click > Data Series screen. For Market Analyzer, this is the Right Click > Properties screen.
            Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
              Hello mystiq,

In this case, how are you determining the calculations are incorrect? If comparing against charts, you will want to make sure all the settings are aligned. Commonly overlooked is the session template applied. For Chart's this is set in the Right Click > Data Series screen. For Market Analyzer, this is the Right Click > Properties screen.

my sessions are from 12:00am to 12:00am --correct?

..i just need to know what settings to use for 60 minute data...onbarupdate? true false

or ....what other settings to make to see the correct data in MA for 60 minute ...in indicator and MA...

Comment

There are no correct settings - They all serve a different purpose. What's important is that if you're comparing chart and market analyzer, you use the same settings between them.

CalculateOnBarClose determines how frequent indicator logic is processed. When set to true, it's only processed on the close of bars. When set to false, it is calculated for every incoming tick.

Session template controls how the bars are built with hours. See here to read more about session templates and session manager.

Comment

value areas and market profile

...can anybody reccommend a starting point or settings to use on any value/market profile indicators in MA? I am currently testing different indicators but the column value in MA is confusing. On a chart, it is easy to see what value is what...but in MA, the column value leaves one wondering if its value area low/high/etc...

the usual market profile indicators plot 3 lines...but it is not user-selected-plot in MA..

any ideas on how to start?

Comment

Best is to contact the author or the vendor for support with a particular indicator. The market analyzer forces you to choose a specific plot for the indicator rather than viewing all available plots at once. You may just need to check which plot is selected.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by timko, Today, 06:45 AM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ  
                    Started by habeebft, Today, 07:27 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes