Freezing Connecting to Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gain problem

I've read this thread and I too have a problem since this morning - 4 hours ago. I cannot connect up to Gain. I've never encountered this situation with Gain before...... I've tried shutting down, rebooting etc but it doesn't fix things.

This is the message I get when I try to connect to Gain:-
    Login failed: Failed to connect to the Rates interface: System.Net.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer. Int3

What makes me suspect this is a Gain problem is that I am able to connect/log on perfectly fine to Open tick as normal.

Please tell me whether there is anything I should do at my end to rectify this problem. I don't want to start fiddling around with Ninja Trader files unless you tell me to!

Thanks

Penelope

Comment

Well well well!

I tried once again to connect to Gain just after sending my last message and I got connected immediately so I'm guessing that Gain just fixed their problem....... So fingers crossed all's well again.

Penelope

Comment

Hi Dierk, this thread reminded me of a recommendation you guys made about a month ago I guess, which is "to disconnect from the data source if you already have the necessary data (say in terms of the date rante) for the backtest, and don't want NT to get the data from the source again.

Yesterday, NT hung on me when I was connected to Gain over a slow link (3 Mbit wireless link) and I was running backtest. Since I normally run the same range over and over again for a given instrument, I don't understand why NT contacts the source repeatedly for the data it already has. Even if the end-result is the same, the increased wait time for the backtest result is noticiable over a slow link. Can you please change the behavior so that you don't attempt this extensive link when NT already has the data on the local hard disk?

-Henry

Comment

You may want to follow this thread to understand on what conditions NT pulls historical data from your provider: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/v...light=provider

Comment

Thank you Dierk, I read the thread but not sure why it is relevant to me. I am backtesting with 2007 data, so I am wondering why NT will go out to the provider EVERY TIME I run a backtest when I am connected to the provider. It seems that the implication is that the only way to prevent this is to disconnect from the provider. In contrast, what I am asking for is either a feature or confirmation that NT does NOT go out to the provider if it already has the necessary data.

Am I understanding the NT behavior and the thread correctly?

-Henry

Comment

As any of the data you backtest is missing and/or the current day is backtested, NT will request data from the provider (please see thread I pointed you to).

Comment

Thank you for the answer Dierk,
                I agree that would be the desired behavior.

It's just that I can't explain the NT behavior I see when I run backtest: running a backtest for a strategy on all forex.com currencies took more than 11 minutes, about 60% of which time (according to the Windows Task Manager -> Networking tab) was spent in downloading packets. When the packet is being downloaded, the network bandwidth shoots up to 1 Mbit/s, which is nearly the maximum bandwidth available for my DSL connection. Since I had current data up to last week, can you think of a reason why NT 6.5 would spend this much time downloading only the newest minute data for the past couple of days?

Furthermore, when I rerun the very same backtest right after this backtest finishes, I see the exact same packet download pattern in the Windows task manager -> Networking tab. In this case, there should have been nothing missing (ok, maybe at most 10 minutes worth of minute bars missing) in the data already downloaded to the local harddrive. So why then the exact same network usage?

Do you see the reason for my confusion here?

-Henry

Comment

We will post a document on why and when NT downloads data from your provider shortly. Please be patient.

Comment

Specific to GAIN.

-Tools > Account Connections > Select your GAIN account to change
                    -Under Historical Data select "NinjaTrader Servers" (I suspect you have GAIN servers checked)

This should accellerate data download speed by a factor of at least 50X.
                    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DynamicTest  
                    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes