NT6.5_and_Canadian_Stock_mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT6.5_and_Canadian_Stock_mapping

I have the latest NT version and I am using it with an IB feed/account.

My problem is "seeing" my Canadian (TSX) open positions on the charts. I can enter and exit the securities at will via chart trader, and all transactions are perfectly executed and have been since I originally mapped them to be able to pull them up on the charts.

When I place an order via chart trader, as I've mentioned, it execute properly, but then the position does not show up on the chart (but it does in the "positions" tab on the control center). The problem with it in the control center is that the P/L does not show correctly but my cost and the symbol does.

I can see from the Control Center tab it is calculating the P/L off of the US side symbol (if there is one, if not it is most often blank). What I mean by that is if I have 100 shares of ABX on the TSX, it will show 100 shares at my cost, but it calc's the P/L off of the current ABX price on the US-side/exchange.

Often times, right before my eyes it will change P/L and temporarily show the correct P/L only to switch back to the 'wrong' exchange.

I can also see this when I pull up ABX chart on the US side (in which I have no position), but I see my position there,...sometimes.......lol.

Thankfully it's never bought/sold on the wrong exchange at the wrong price.........never.

What I've done is remove the US side symbol, but even them sometimes that cause more problems (IE I get on P/L ever.... and I never see my open position on any chart since the "wrong" (in my case US side usually) has been removed.

Any ideas? It seems to be a moving target. I see what it's doing, and as I've said it seems to change it's mind before my eyes at times, but is usually reading the US side exchange for my Canadian side/same symbol stocks, yet it has never traded the incorrect side.

Hope that wasn't too confusing...

Thx.

Steve R, thanks for the detailed post - can you please confirm you're on NT 6.5.1000.14 and TWS 898.4 (http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...ivebrokers.htm)

I would need to review your logs to see for which symbol the execution is reported then, normally it does happen if duplicative mappings are set up for symbols, thus giving them impression the position is 'hidden'.

Therefore it would be helpful, if you contacted me via the Help > Mail to Support feature - thanks
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Will do Bertrand, when I get to 'work' I'll reconfirm everything.

Don't forget however that the P/L and my position on the chart can change right in front of my eyes without me doing a thing, from one index's symbol to another index, if they have the same base symbol, so there's not really an 'impression'. I actually see it.

I'll get back to you soon.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Steve R, thanks for the detailed post - can you please confirm you're on NT 6.5.1000.14 and TWS 898.4 (http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...ivebrokers.htm)

I would need to review your logs to see for which symbol the execution is reported then, normally it does happen if duplicative mappings are set up for symbols, thus giving them impression the position is 'hidden'.

Therefore it would be helpful, if you contacted me via the Help > Mail to Support feature - thanks

Comment

There's an error in sending via that method Bertrand, but my NT ver is 6.5.1000.8 and TWS is the newest on Nov9, 2009 of 899.8

I believe you're on the right track with my problem aka duplicate mapping, but it would have only been in the past as I have dumped all the "problem" symbols and then re-entered each side (US-CAD) and often time eliminated the US side (not what I want to do since I want to be able to trade both sides). Whether what I have done in the past is affecting what I am seeing now is of course unknown to me.

As a general comment, you folks should just add the major TSX symbols from the get-go. We're not London, but we're not Iceland either ;-) It would I assume prevent a whole lot of issues.

Talk soon.

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion for the default TSX symbols.

For your versions - please upgrade via Help > Download Site to our latest 6.5.1000.14 release version and ensure to 'partner' this with the recommend TWS 898.4 - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...ivebrokers.htm

Then please recheck the issue, if it persists - please send me a note to support at ninjatrader dot com directly.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion for the default TSX symbols.

For your versions - please upgrade via Help > Download Site to our latest 6.5.1000.14 release version and ensure to 'partner' this with the recommend TWS 898.4 - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...ivebrokers.htm

Then please recheck the issue, if it persists - please send me a note to support at ninjatrader dot com directly.

Thanks
            before I do anything crazy like an upgrade which tends to cause a hang-nail to develop into losing a limb, how much of that upgrade is going to trash any data etc that I have?

I'm not interested in upgrading for the sake of upgrading unless there was a known issue in this area that has been directly addressed in the upgrade. It's all too easy to suggest an upgrade (done all the time) when in a huge majority of the cases, it does absolutely nothing but cause problems.

So the question really is, did you address this issue directly with the recent version, or are we monkeying around. I've had this problem with all versions I have used..

I also cannot get back to TWS ver 898.4, I have been upgraded to 899.8, if it matters.

So again, before I upset the apple cart, let me know if there has been direct addressing of this issue that is known to affect the problem I am having.

Also, if I do the upgrade, is it a full upgrade or is it just a patch-over so I won't lose all my settings etc...

I don't want to lose an arm, this software has been painful enough in the past and I'm already living with enough of the minor stuff. Looking forward to ver 7. Looks sweet.

Steve
            Last edited by Steve R; 11-26-2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

With the upgrade you would not loose settings or your data - however we strongly suggest doing regular routine backups -

Unfortunately I can't predict if this upgrade would fix the issue you report, however you're a good number of versions behind and we would advise to stay with the current releases as we continuously identify and fix issues - thus my suggestion to upgrade and retest.

The recommended TWS is still available from us -

Comment

I back up every week, so there's no issues there.

I pulled the trigger and did the upgrade.

No change, but the good news is I have no other additional issues. :-)

The problem I can see right now with with symbol IMO

IMO is on both exchanges (US and CAD)

My CAD side position shows up on the US-side chart.

I have checked the instrument manager and it shows only two instances of IMO.

I have called the TSX side IMO.TO for the name (so I know the difference) but it is mapped to the IB symbol "imo" with the exchange set to 'TSX' which is the only exchange that has ever worked (past experience). The US side IMO's exchange is set to default.

I also see in the control center >> positions tab the symbol IMO, instead of IMO.TO. It show no P/L as if it doesn't read anything, but it does show my number of shares and avg price. I also am sitting here staring at my CAD-side position on the US side chart (again shares show up there but no P/L).

I am not sure if anything I have done in the past re symbol mapping-trading-then more mapping trying to fix things have corrupted something else I can't see from just viewing the instrument manager, chart trader or control center>>positions tab.

thanks

With the upgrade you would not loose settings or your data - however we strongly suggest doing regular routine backups -

Unfortunately I can't predict if this upgrade would fix the issue you report, however you're a good number of versions behind and we would advise to stay with the current releases as we continuously identify and fix issues - thus my suggestion to upgrade and retest.

The recommended TWS is still available from us -

http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...nstall_898.exe

Comment

Great the upgrade went well - do you need the US side symbol as well? If not then you could just work with the CAD side symbol. It would be helpful if you contact me at support at ninjatrader dot com with logs and traces so I can check into them. Thanks

Comment

Great the upgrade went well - do you need the US side symbol as well? If not then you could just work with the CAD side symbol. It would be helpful if you contact me at support at ninjatrader dot com with logs and traces so I can check into them. Thanks
                    Yes, I want the symbols from both sides, plus eliminating the US side doesn't fix my CAD side anyway. I end up getting no position shown on chart trader or P/L on control center>>positions when in a CAD position.

Remind me again how I can get the log file and I will attach it to an e-mail. I could not do it as prescribed earlier as I got an error msg.

EDIT: Oh, hey, is it the latest log.XXXXXXX under ......NinjaTrader6.5\log folder?
                    Last edited by Steve R; 11-26-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Steve, yes please send me todays log file and todays trace file.

There are found in those folders below -

MyDocuments > NinjaTrader 6.5 > log

&

MyDocuments > NinjaTrader 6.5 > trace

Thanks

Comment

Steve, yes please send me todays log file and todays trace file.

There are found in those folders below -

MyDocuments > NinjaTrader 6.5 > log

&

MyDocuments > NinjaTrader 6.5 > trace

Thanks
                        OK my man.

I've actually sent you Nov 25 log and trace as that is the last time I traded a mutli-exchange (same symbol) trade. It was IMO and I traded it on the CAD side.

I put ATTN to yourself.

Steve

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                        11 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post xiinteractive  
                        Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                        1 response