Altering the OHLC Chart Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altering the OHLC Chart Style

I prefer the OHLC chart style over candlestick charts. However, I find NinjaTrader's OHLC bars a bit awkward.

Specifically, the horizontal Open and Close "wicks" (for lack of a better word), are a bit too large/extended. They protrude a bit too much. As a result, the bars must be spaced quite far apart so that the Close "wick" of the preceding bar does not overlap the Open "wick" of the following bar. (This can look quite confusing in a choppy market.) However, to keep them sufficiently spaced apart results in too few price bars showing up on a chart. (Other charting applications I had used in the past all had smaller horizontal Open and Close "wicks." They were not adjustable, but I did not find the need to adjust them to display the number of bars I wanted on a chart.)

Unfortunately, the Chart Properties dialogue box does not offer user-defined horizontal "wick" size. Is there any workaround or manual way of adjusting "wick" size? I do not have a programming background, so please be gentle with your suggestions.

One11, correct unfortunately changing this is not supported per default - however with custom programming you could create a chart style for your needs, however we don't support those code changes unfortunately - so the best approach would be contacting a NinjaScript consultant for assistance to develop this -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Any chance of this suggested adjustment to NT's OHLC bars being added in the near future? It has been over three years since I first inquired.about it.

Comment

Thanks for checking in - unfortunately I could not offer an ETA or commitment, but it's tracked as active enhancement request in our tracking lists in product management, your vote and request is noted here as well (id 1214).

Comment

Thank you, Bertrand. Much appreciated.

Comment

Just thought I'd check in again to ask if my suggestion in the opening post might be included in a future version of NT anytime soon.

Comment

Thanks for checking in One11, unfortunately no new input on this item besides what I've mentioned in post #4 here.

Have a great day,
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_Bertrand; 05-28-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your response, Bertrand.

I was rather hoping that your software design team would have incorporated my request by now. If I may make a small request in connection with this matter. Could you please note to whomever decides on such matters that NT's OHLC bars have Open and Close "wicks" that protrude disproportionately in comparison to other popular charting packages? And then, my question is, Why? What purpose does that distinction serve, other than to limit the number of bars on the chart? In any event, I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my inquiry.

As an aside, and on an unrelated note, is there any chance that the distance between vertical grid lines will ever be user-defined, as horizontal grid lines presently are?

Comment

Thanks one11 - would you mind posting a chart for the Open / Close wicks item? I'm not exactly sure which behavior you're referring to and would like to see enhanced.

A custom vertical line interval option is on our tracking list as well and I've made sure to note your vote for it as well.

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

In response to your request, I have attached a small chart clipping of the OHLC bars in the approximate size that I use them, (in1920 x 1200 resolution). I use fairly thick bars because I follow a very short time frame quite intently throughout the day, and if I were to use much narrower bars, my eyes would strain considerably from the constant focus. Therefore, my trade-off is one of comfortable visability vs. number of bars displayed.

Note that the horizontal Open and Close "nubs" or "wicks," for lack of a better term (notches?), protrude more horizontally than is required to comfortably identify them. If these identifying Open and Close notches did not extend as far left and right, respectively, more bars of a given thickness would fit onto a given chart. Again, I invite you to have a look at OHLC styles of other popular charting packages for comparative purposes.

I hope this answers your question. And, again, thanks for your time and consideration.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by One11; 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

P.S. For comparative purposes, I have attached an unfortunately less-than-clear and too-small snippet from another charting package, just for illustrative purposes. The bar thickness is not quite the same as in the NT chart I attached in my previous post, but you will note the relative difference in Open and Close horizontal protrusion. Perhaps NT could at least come somewhere halfway between the two? Better yet, in the same way that bar thickness can presently be user defined, it would be quite refreshing to have the Open and Close horizontal protrusion to be user-defined as well. Wouldn't you agree?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by One11; 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

one11, thanks much for taking the time to post those thoughts and comparative screenshots, we highly appreciate it and have added this item as well to our feedback list in product management with id 2384.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                          one11, thanks much for taking the time to post those thoughts and comparative screenshots, we highly appreciate it and have added this item as well to our feedback list in product management with id 2384.
                          Just a quick follow-up to our last exchange about 3 months ago, to ask if there is any development or indication of movement in this regard. Thanks.

Comment

One11, thanks for checking in - still tracked as active enhancement request in our lists, however unfortunately I would not have an ETA or commitment to provide at this time. Once feature sets and more details regarding our next major update are available, we will for sure approach the community. Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                              One11, thanks for checking in - still tracked as active enhancement request in our lists, however unfortunately I would not have an ETA or commitment to provide at this time. Once feature sets and more details regarding our next major update are available, we will for sure approach the community. Thanks again for your input.
                              Hi Bertrand,

Just doing my quarterly check-in, hoping you might have an update on my (long -standing) request.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post trilliantrader  
                              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred