Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac

I'm debating on getting a new computer. I was wandering how well MAC's are working with Ninja Trader. If so, what types of MAC specificaitons would I need or which MAC model should I consider for being suitable to handle the workload for trading? Thank you for your help.

Mike

Hello Mikehoustonmsu,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader is a MS Windows based application and does not support the Mac OS natively however, it can be run within a Mac environment through one of the following virtualization applications:
    • Parallels Desktop for Mac
    • VMware Fusion
    • Apple Boot Camp
    Although we do not guarantee that NinjaTrader will run as designed, we have run in-house tests on the above listed applications and have not run into any known issues.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, so basically I would run windows on the mac and use NT through windows correct?

Comment

Yes. It can't be run on Macs natively, but through the Windows environment on a mac.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT gurus...need some advice.

I have a 27"iMac that I was hoping to use for trading. Unfortunately Apple does not support many Software apps that are typically reserved for native PC's. However with the intro of Virtual bridges such as VMware and Parallels, most feel this is an easy fix...IN my case it is proving not to be.

My issue is this, I purchased Parallels 8 to run my PC based NInjaTrader software (for trading). Ninja does NOT recommenbd this however does note in their forum that MAC uses have has success using Parallels or VMWare. I am finding that although Parallels is seamless and does a very nice job for most of my Virtual needs, and frankly other PC Based trading software, it is not giving me the perfomance I need with NinjaTrader perhaps due to my data-laden PC/NT requirements.

SO, I have this Dell Hybrid PC that I'd like to hook up to the iMAC, kick over to Target Display mode and simply let the PC run my native PC-based program so I can stop the issues. Does this sound feasible? I'm just looking for a nice solution that'll remove the inherent "virtual lag" that my MAC/Parallels and NinjaTrader platform is creating vs running NinjaTrader via a true PC-based system. I have it, might as well hook it up?

Thx for any input/experience and/or solutions that you can recommend.

DJ

Comment

Hello DJ,

Working with Mac computers in the past you should be able to use your iMac as an external monitor if you would like as long as your video card supports the high resolution of the iMac screen.

Please note that you can change the Performance Setting inside of Parallels to have better performance and to reduced the lag or sluggishness of the virtual environment by following the steps at the link below.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/112091
            JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by mikehoustonmsu View Post
              I'm debating on getting a new computer. I was wandering how well MAC's are working with Ninja Trader. If so, what types of MAC specificaitons would I need or which MAC model should I consider for being suitable to handle the workload for trading? Thank you for your help.

Mike
              A Mac is fantastic. I've been using one for 5 years now and trading Ninja on Bootcamp. It's better than a PC. Tried Parallels & Fusion to no avail. It's best to run native Windows under Bootcamp. Have now had to upgrade and bought THE best iMac ever & running Windows 8. Awesome. I will never go back to a PC.

Comment

Hi

What Mac are you using?
                How do charts scale on it, do they look good?

Cheers

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post DynamicTest  
                Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes