Looking for data vendor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Sepp,

Certain providers do support carrying overnight positions but how that position is reported in NinjaTrader will depend on the provider. In most cases the use mark to market, which means when the market closes your position is closed, but is reopen at the market price when the market reopens. This position is reported to NinjaTrader at that market price.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

But does IB offer this?
      I think it could be, because when I set up the connection for TT, a warning message appeared, telling me that carrying overnight isn't supported. When setting up the IB connection, nothing happens.

Regards,

Sepp

Comment

Hi Sepp,

I am not sure as IB would know for certain. With NinjaTrader if the position is reported on the IB servers overnight it will be shown in NinjaTrader the following day as well.

Comment

Haha, they told me they don't know it and I should ask the support of NinjaTrader :-D
          Don't you know from other sources or through reclamations, if IB supports this?
          Otherwise they told me, I should ask you, with which method NinjaTrader knows about overnight positions.

Regards,

Sepp

Comment

Sepp,

Well, I can say that NinjaTrader will report the position if it is shown by IB regardless of when the position was opened.

What I am not sure about is whether if say you entered a position using TWS and then closed and reopened the application if the position would still be open in TWS. If it is then NinjaTrader will report that position. If you just reference the TWS application and if you can hold, and view overnight positions then, if possible, NinjaTrader will report that open position upon reopening.

Maybe other users have experience with this, but IB should be able to answer the question as it relates to the TWS application.

Comment

Yes, if I buy a position over TWS the one day and open TWS the other day, it shows my all the position with Win/loss etc.
              So it works also for NT? This would be great

Regards,

Sepp

Comment

Sepp,

If that is the case then NinjaTrader will report those open positions. This link may be of service as it relates to IB.
                Note: This information is relevant for NinjaTrader 7 only. For NinjaTrader 8, please click here (https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/where_do_your_orders_reside_.htm). CQG Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the

Comment

Ok, so the reason, why TT can't carry positions correctly, is because their orders (and positions too?) are marked at the exchange and I guess the exchange resets every day the orders?

Regards and thank you very much for your help!

Sepp

Comment

Sepp,

I am not sure why TT does not support carrying positions overnight and you will want to contact them.

Every order that is held overnight by brokers that support this is closed at the end of the day and then reopened at the settlement price, and perhaps TT does not take this second step.

Comment

I asked them now and they told me that everything will work with NT7. Btw: is there already an official release date for NT7?

And one (hopefully) last question: what happens when I let "run" a strategy over the weekend? Since there are no exchanges opened, will it just continue with trading on Monday morning or do I have to start it each monday manually?

Regards,

Sepp

Comment

Sepp,

There is no official release date, but we expect to release the seventh beta version sometime this week as updated on Monday.

Also, if you leave a strategy running over the weekend it will continue running, but will not enter as there will not be data since the market is closed and should resume on Monday. However, doing this is not supported or recommended as each data feed resets and you may lose connection and not be reconnected.

Comment

Why wouldn't I get reconnected? As far as I know, NinjaTrader tries to reconnect and it worked up to now every time. But from what I understand, it would be best when I check the connection on Sunday evening and then it should work. Is there any way to get NinjaTrader that it automatically tries to reconnect continously once it lost the connection? This could probably handle the problem.

Regards,

Sepp

Comment

Sepp,

Yes, NinjaTrader does try to reconnect and will do so provided that the data provider can reconnect. Some data providers do not allow a reconnection after a disconnection without resetting the API.

But it is best to check the strategy prior to the start of trading, and with automated trading we do not recommend leaving it to run on your behalf because there are still issues that may require your intervention. Automated trading is meant merely to handle entries and exits.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post GLFX005
                            by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM