problems backtesting with tick data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems backtesting with tick data

I currently have 3 months worth of ES tick data. Unfortunately backtesting is horribly slow if I test tick by tick (which my strategy necessitates). I can only run a test 1 month at a time, if I try much more it crashes NinjaTrader. So I have to run it a month at a time, paste the results into Excel, and then analyze it there. And I really need is to test for the past year at least. I'm running a P4 with 2GB ram. Do I just need a super computer? Is there a different way to setup or program something to make this run faster? Again, the strategy is very simple, just using a few variables and checking against an SMA. Let me know if there's anything I can do. And if anyone else has trouble with tick data, or if it runs fine, let me know you system specs. Maybe it's just time for an upgrade. thanks.

nebeno, most likely your running out of memory with this operation on tick data (expected on 6.5) - NinjaTrader 7 will offer much more efficient handling of this -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Nebero,
      Could you tell me how you tested with tick data? My system is also based on tick data. From what I saw, there is no way to back test tick data in NT(the "OnMarketData" method was never called during the testing). I ever tried moving my code to "OnBarUpdate" then calling GetCurrentAsk and GetCurrentBid but it still didn't trigger any orders. My system runs fine in live, so I have to do forward testing only and manually adjusting settings.
      Thanks!

Comment

trade4$, correct OnMarketDate() is for realtime use only, same as for GetCurrentBid() and GetCurrentAsk() - those will be replaced with Close in backtesting. NinjaTrader 7 will offer accessing historical bid / ask data if supported by the provider -

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
          NinjaTrader 7 will offer accessing historical bid / ask data if supported by the provider -

http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
          Do you have a list of providers who support historical bid/ask?
          If there is no list, can you confirm whether Interactive Brokers provide this to NT7?

Comment

Dave, would unfortunately not have a list yet - IB would support this as I just tested here...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes