Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

IB limitation on historical data requests????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB limitation on historical data requests????

I just started up Ninjatrader, connected to the IB datafeed(via TWS), it backfilled two ESH0 charts. I then changed one of them to a stock symbol, it backfilled it and charted it. Then I typed another stock symbol on the screen and after a minute this error message popped: "NinjaTrader has reached an IB limitation for historical data requests. IB may reject all historical data requests for the next five minutes: Historical Market Data Services error message: Historical data request pacing violation." I've been using IB datafeed for two years (with Quotetracker), and can run historical backfills all day/all night long without a problem. Can someone explain what this error message is about....and tell me how to fix the problem. John

Hello John,

Unfortunately this error message comes from IB and informs you that you requested too much historical data. This is a limitation of IB and there is no workaround.

Please wait 5 minutes and you will be able to request additional historical data again.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason, this makes no sense. I don't get this error message using other softwares, and this only involved three symbols. You're saying that everytime I want to backfill three symbols I'm going to have to wait five minutes before I can backfill another one. That doesn't make any sense and would render the IB datafeed useless to anyone using it. And since I don't have that problem using TWS, ThinkofSwim, or Quotetracker, I'd guess the answer lies somewhere else.

Comment

Could you perhaps have workspaces running in the background that request historical data as well?

Can you please restart NinjaTrader and go to File-->Workspaces and check what workspaces are listed below(!) 'Save Workspace As'. The workspace with the checkmark is the workspace opened on your monitor. Any additional workspaces listed, are opened in the background.

Select a workspace without a checkmark and subsequently go to File-->Workspaces-->Close Workspace. Repeat this process until only one workspace is opened. Subsequently connect to IB and check once the three charts are loaded with data the error persists.

If so, please tell me how much historical data each chart requests.

In addition, do you have TWS connected to other software at the same time?

Comment

Hi Jason, sorry I didn't answer sooner. Since I'm new to Ninjatrader, I don't even have any workspaces delineated, so I don't think that's the cause of the pacing violation problem. But I think I found the answer. Here's a link to the Interactive Brokers page on pacing violations and historical data limitations. It's good to have as a reference: http://www.interactivebrokers.com/ph...imitations.htm There's one condition causing a pacing violation that could easily apply to me: "Making identical historical data requests within 15 seconds". When I make a historical data request and nothing happens, it's normal to try again...so I could easily have triggered this silly pacing violation that then required me to wait 5 minutes before trying any lkind of historical data request again. Anyone who uses IB for data (and charting) will realize why TDAmeritrade is the preferred way to go for low cost/free data. And the IB java-based charting module is not even worth discussing. Thanks for the help. John

Comment

Hello John,

I see, good to hear you found the cause of the violation and thank you for letting us know.

Comment

Hello,

Would other providers such as Kinetick has the same limitations in terms of the range of historical data that can be used ? I want to backtest a strategy based on 5 minutes data and I'd like to be able to test it on a longer period (only 3 months with IB). Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums.

No they would not have the same limitation and thus the reason you may fine benefit from signing up with Kinetick.

Kinetick has about 2 years worth of historical minute data available.

www.kinetick.com

Connect to kinetick first to prioritize data from Kinetick then connect to IB to bring in your historical data.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                47 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aligator  
                Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post jaybedreamin