NinjaTrader Performance Reports for Version 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader Performance Reports for Version 5

As you know, NinjaTrader provides a methods to manage your position by bracketing an open position with multiple stops and targets. Once all of these stops/targets are filled and the position strategy is flat, NinjaTrader generates a trade record that includes the average entry/exit that is ultimately used for the calculation of performance data. The completed strategy can contain multiple tradeswhich are themultiple execution pairs from the stop and target orders.

The current performance manager generates data based on completed strategies and not the individual trades that make up the strategy. In essence, NinjaTrader calls the complete strategy a trade in itself.

So, if you have two stops and targets, you get filled on each target, you would get a report that shows -

# of trades = 1
    # of winners = 1

Industry standard approach suggests -

# of trades = 2
    # of winners = 2

We are in the process of redesigning the Performance Manager as a tab in the Control Center Window. See attached images. The redesign will provide much more efficient access to generating performance statistics, provide full printing, exporting to csv or excel, provide graphs and other valuable reporting options.

We are leaning towards calcuating performance based on actual trade pairs which follows industry standard approach.

The pros to this are -

- more flexibility in reporting performance data on all execution information. Currently, if a strategy is lost, the performance for that strategy is lost.
    - can generate performance on the entire accounts trading history indpendant of strategies
    - can generate performance on strategies

This comes at the expense of how strategies are reported now. If you executed 3 strategies wiith 3 stops and targets, in today's model, it would be reported as 3 trades. With the proposed model, it would be reported as potentially 9 trades.

I am asking for input from anyone interested on this subject. Is this the right approach? Not?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
    Attached Files
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

imported post

Second image
    Attached Files

Comment

imported post

Dear Ray

It would suit my trading style to have PM report each trade not each strategy as it would provide for me a more accurate picture of my preformance.

Strategies to me are purely an entry and exit tool which I may over ride at any time. Whereas the trades are black and white,no escaping their outcome.

Regards John_AUS

Comment

imported post

Seems like a good idea. Please also make EVERY report on the control Center tabs Printable as well as sendable to Excel and disk.

Separate open order reporting at log out between "Live" and "Sim"

In Breakout I can adjust the buy stop above the order entry point, but I cannot adjust the sell stop contract # using the left key or center button.

Len Fish

Comment

imported post

Ray

My last reply needs correcting.

Ijust use a strategy as an entry tool from then on all adjustments, breakeven, and exits are done manually.

Regards John_AUS

Comment

imported post

Ray,

I manually take my trades from Ninja and place them in my own money management excel based software. A strategy that has 3 entries and 3 targets gets treated as 3 trades and not 1 trade. Taking an average price of these entries is a major pain in maintaining my records.

So I like your proposed plan and will study it more carefully. Another important tool in record keeping is the recovery trade time from one equity high to the next equity high. Once a loss is made, how many trades before a new equity high is made. After studying 1000's of trades some interesting facts become obvious.

I need ninja performance to be able to export into my excel and get my figures. Improvements in this area are indeed welcomed.

Om Shivaya

Comment

imported post

Hi Ray

I like your new propositions. I think it will greatly enhance the reporting function.

The two things I'd like to see are:

1. User configurable reports. That way I can set up the columns in the way i'd like to see them and they'd slot into my excel analysis perfectly.

2. If possible to be able to identify the legs of a strategy separately. ie if I exit in two parts, to be able to run stats on just the first part or just the second (or of course, all trades).

The second requirement is however superflous if you can meeet the first of a configurable export.

Many thanks for the excellent work you do on the product
              Spiro

Comment

imported post

Some ideas I find useful and you may be able to incorporate are;

# Trades to recover from Drawdown

Avg # Trades per day

Avg # Ticks per day

Worst# losses in a row

Best # Wins in a row

To determine consistency and true figures for my personal trading I have one side of records with every trade entered and treated as 1 lot. The other side is for compounding and shows all my actual trades and lots for each trade. It is easier to determine a trading problem when viewing all trades as 1 lot. So if you can click a button and see the figures for a campaign based on 1 lot only, this I have found really helpful. Often a trader has a good strategy but makes poor decisions on how many lots to put on a trade. We see a great set up and put 5 lots on it only to see it bomb, then we see another great setup and put 1 lot on it and see it soar. This makes the records false for analysis and for improving our trading.

Is this helpful?

Comment

imported post

Dear Ray

If you can do it would be perfect. Actually I am saving the rport in txt and then I have to paste on excel and make the multiplications to have a accurate history of my trades.

If you can make the control panel executions able to export to excel would help also.

The way to report trades acordingly with IRS should be the new way that you are proposing and if it is possible make the trades that do not have any strategy avaiable on performance manager also.

Ninja trader is so great, my broker send the statements in pdf and I am not able to have a file on excel of that . This is so necessary!!

Thanks for all

Iza

Comment

imported post

I too, think basing the performance report on actual trades and not on strategies is a step forward, so I'm all for it. Another feature I look forward to is being able to run simulation in NT basedonplayback-feed.

/Granville

Comment

imported post

I feel the proposed approach is a good one. However, In the posted examples, although I see collective Average MFE and MAE, I do not see MAE and MFE displayed for each individual trade. If possible, this would be a reporting item I would like to have available on each trade. Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers
                      CapKoz

Comment

imported post

I actually prefer the current method of reporting a multi contract/multi stop trade as 1 trade, and here's why. If I'm trading 2 contracts and move my stop to breakeven when target 1 is hit, i could either go on to hit target 2 on the second contract or stop out at breakeven. Under the current system, this would be reported as a profitable trade. Under the new system, if I understand correctly, it would report 1 profitable trade and 1 breakeven trade. This would not correctly reflect the profitability of the strategy, especially if I wanted to compare that strategy to others. It would be even more complicated if I were to use a 3-target strategy.

There are a few things that would be great to include, though. I'm using the multi-broker version, and often would like to see my combined stats for my all my real accounts vs. simulated stats.

Also, I trade several strategies on a few instruments, and would like the ability to track performance of a given strategy on all instruments vs a different strategy on all instruments. That way I might only tradea given strategy on selective instruments.

Likewise, it would be great to be able to select mutiple strategies to see how they performed on 1 given instrument.

Thanks, Ray, for allowing us to give you this input!!

Comment

imported post

Ray,

I think that there is value in reporting both on a strategy basis as well as a paired-trade basis. In fact, maybe you can offer both, and develop a way to do comparative analysis between the two. For example, among other things, this could show a trader who uses multiple targets if he/she would have been more profitable over time executing just one or two parts of the strategy rather than a more complex array of entries and exits and the associated commissions.

Then, you could do the following: have a performance report for each: you could show the strategy performance as you do now, but a trader could click on a given strategy and get a paired-trade breakdown. Then, you could also show a reportin the paired-trade mode, and a trader could click on a given trade and get a view of the strategy it was executed in.

Thanks for this forum, and for NinjaTrader.....Keep up the good work!

Comment

imported post

Sounds great. I try to scale in additional contracts in a strong move. The current system records "entry" as the final aveaged-in price. This allows a more accurate reflection of what I'm actually doing.
                            I also like the suggestion of a user-configurable performance report.
                            Finally, sometimes trade orders don't get to Pats and the strategy is cancelled. Ditto the stats for that trade. I think that all trades should be accounted for in the performance manger.

Thanks for the great product

Comment

imported post

So far some good input.

- All grids in V5 can be saved as CSV, exported to Excel and can be printed
                              - Graphs can be saved as images
                              - Access to historical executions and order information is provided
                              -Grids are customizable as (add/remove/move columns)
                              - Recovery trade time (equity high to equity high) is already included in the performance reporting

Ray

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ZenCortexCLICK, Today, 04:58 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ZenCortexCLICK  
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM