using IB indicators with NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using IB indicators with NT

I am trying to mate a datafeed with Ninjatrader. I am interested in Interactive Brokers, IB. The following indicators are not part of NT-- $tick, $tickQ, $trin, $trinq, but they do come with IB for use on their platorm TWS. Will I be able to use these indicators on the NT platform by importing them to NT.

Hi Superdoug3,

Thank you for your post.

Those indices you reference are available in NinjaTrader. If you go to Tools-->Instrument Manager and then change the type to Index and then hit the search button you will see which indices are pre-loaded in NinjaTrader.

However, if you do need to add an instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
    • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
    • Press the "New" button
    • *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
    • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivty provider
    • Press the "OK" button

* If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.
    The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
    • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
    • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
    • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
    • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I was able to add instruments for Tick, TickQ, Trin, TrinQ in Sim101,
      but I still do not have indicators for these. TWS from IB has indicators for these, is there some way to use them on my NT platform ?

Comment

Hi superdoug3,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you looking to overlay these on to another chart? If so, this is not currently possible but will be in NinjaTrader 7.

"New Multi-Series Charting
        You can now mix multiple series on a single chart without limitations seen in other platforms. We have introduced a new chart level property "Equidistant bar spacing" which is automatically set to false when mixing more than one series. What this does is creates a time axis that is void of any missing bars so that mixed series of any type can all be accurately aligned to time. When this property is set to true, bars have even space between them and missing time bars are excluded."

For more information about NinjaTrader 7: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am a newbie, trying to get started. For example I just want to bring up ES 03-10 and apply a $tick indicator to my chart. IB says that they supply data for Tick-NYSE, you showed me that the instrument is available in NT as TICK, do I need some Ninjascript coded indicator for displaying my $tick on my ES 03-10 chart. If so, I can not find $tick in the standard supplied NT indicator list, even when I add TICK as an instrument

Comment

Hi,

The TICK, TRIN, TICKQ, et al, are instruments rather than indicators, and that is how IB provides the data. If you wish to overlay the instrument on your current ES chart then you will use the multi-series charting that will be available with NinjaTrader 7.

Otherwise, you will want to refer to our NinjaScript consultants to see if they can program an indicator based on the instruments you cite.

Comment

$tick instrument on a 1 minute interval on sim101, should $tick show up on a chart. The scale on the right shows 0 --> 0.01 I would expect -1000 to +1000

Comment

Hi,

Can you please change the interval from minutes to daily and see if you receive $TICK data.

As for the axis numbers, those are represented in that fashion because there is no available historical data for the interval selected.

Comment

on sim101 used $tick and $tickq with daily interval back 365 days and no change, still no data displayed. I take it that I am doing something wrong, as I should be getting $tick instrument to work on sim101 connection.

Comment

Hi,

When connected to IB, can you please go to the TWS application and see if you receive data for the TICK index.

If you do please remove, repair and recreate the connection to IB.
                    • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections--> highlight the connection--> click Remove
                    • Then go to the Tools menu--> select Options--> select the Misc tab--> click Repair DB
                    • Restart NinjaTrader
                    • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections and recreate the account connection.

The following link will take you to a page that details the steps required for creating a connection to Interactive Brokers and specific connection configuration information.

Please note that if you are not using TWS version 900.6 then you will want to make sure you install the correct version.

Then please reset the instruments and recreate a chart for both interval types. To reset your instruments please: go to the Tools menu, select the Options menu item, select the Misc tab, and then click on 'Reset Instruments'.

Comment

I have IB TWS 900.6 and I use tick charts every day with both NT 6.5 and NT 7. Attached my 1 min tick chart, data from IB. Did you check under instrument settings that the Symbol for IB is TICK-NYSE?

Originally posted by superdoug3 View Post
                      on sim101 used $tick and $tickq with daily interval back 365 days and no change, still no data displayed. I take it that I am doing something wrong, as I should be getting $tick instrument to work on sim101 connection.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input Harry,

That is default symbol mapping with current versions of NinjaTrader (6.5.1000.14). This should be updated with the instrument reset, all things being equal.

Comment

thank-you Harry and Ryan;
                          I have confused the issue. I am looking for a broker and data feed and IB is looking promising to me. At the moment, I do not have an IB connection, just a Zenfire demo for 1 month, which only works for futures. The feed back from Harry is very helpful. IB has these data feeds Tick-NYSE, Tick-Nasdaq, Trin-NYSE, Trin-Nasdaq. But does not have Tick-Dow30.

I was hoping that I could see $tick in sim101 which Ryan has been helping me with, but so far no luck. I will not be able to try Tick-NYSE in TWS as I do not have an IB account

Comment

Hi,

The data is not provided through the Sim101 account, as that for entering simulated orders.

Whether you have access to the data for indices is dependent on the data provider. Zen-Fire does not provide index data.

This data would be available if you did have a connection to IB, but please refer to the following link for other providers of indices data.

Comment

Ib tick

IB users,

Another thing to note is that if you want to add the IB Tick to a chart in Ninja, you need to add the "^" prior to the symbol.

For instance,

TICK-NYSE is represented as ^TICK in a Ninja chart
                              TICK-NASDAQ is represented as ^TICKQ in a Ninja chart

Hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes