Trading the VIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading the VIX

Any chance I can trade this one via Ninja?

Broker: Vision Financial

Best Regards

Snobtrader

Hello snobtrader,

If you can trade it through your broker, you should be able to trade in NinjaTrader as well.

Unfortunately the VX is not listed by default in NinjaTrader. NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
    • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
    • Press the "New" button
    • *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
    • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivty provider
    • Press the "OK" button
    * If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
    • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
    • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
    • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
    • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list
    You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

Let me know if this will not work for you.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

but how exactly am I doing this for the VIX?

Thanks for ur help

Best regards

Snobtrader

Comment

Can you please verify if you refer to the VIX index or the VX futures contract.

Note that Vision only provides futures data and no index data. You will not able to receive index data such as the VIX, TICK, TRIN, etc.

In the link you provided I saw 'VIX Futures - VX'. I am not sure if this indicates a separate futures instrument aside from the VIX index. If so, I am not familiar with this instrument and not sure what values it uses. Do you have any information regarding this futures instrument?

Comment

Its the VIX Future traded on the CBOE. See here: http://cfe.cboe.com/Products/Spec_VIX.aspx

Comment

Hello snobtrader,

I tested multiple setups but so far I am unable to receive data for this instrument while connected to Vision.

Can you please check with your broker if you are authorized to trade and receive data for the VIX futures instrument.

If so, please inquire what symbol mapping needs to be used.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post jaybedreamin  
            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes