Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make the commissions work

Hello,
    I am worndering how to make the commission work on my simulator while trading during market hours. I use TDameritrade for the feed but I want the commissions to be .005 per trade on the simulator.

The other question is can I put the commission in and have the simulator recalculate my profit and loss with the the new commissions. Thanks for your help.

Tom

Hello,

Thank you for your forum post.

You can setup commissions to be added to the Account Performance section. However, because your connection technology supports showing PnL directly from the broker your live PnL will not include commissions, even if you set them up in NinjaTrader.

Broker Provided Information:

Commission can be included in your PnL calculations provided you have correctly configured NinjaTrader. Commission values can be defined for each connectivity provider per instrument and per instrument type.
    Commission values are used in the following order:
    • From the instrument if a commission value has been defined else
    • From the instrument type if a commission value has been defined else
    • No value is used since none have been defined
    Please follow the instructions below to define commission values per instrument type:
    • From within the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Options
    • Select the tab "Commission"
    • Click here for details on defining a commission values

Please follow the instructions below to define commission values per instrument:
    • From within the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
    • Double click on the instrument you wish to add a commission value for
    • Click on the "Misc" tab
    • Click here for details on defining a commission values
    Critical: Ensure that 'Apply commission to PnL calculations' is enabled under Tools > Options > General tab.
    Data Provided by Brokers:

Comment

Follow up question-Commissions

I just want to make sure I understand. The TDAmeritrade feed does not allow me to put commissions in while Simulated trading during market conditions or after trading to properly reflect my PL.

I also want to make sure I see it correctly that if I use my Interactive Brokers account for simulated (trading) realtime data feed it will allow me to use commissions.

I really appreciate your help with this matter

Tom

Comment

Hello,

If you are using the Sim101 account in NinjaTrader you will be able to use commissions. However when you are trading live with TD Ameritrade those commissions will not remain since the PnL is displayed directly from TD Ameritrade and is not calculated by NinjaTrader.

PnL reported by IB include commissions from IB and will need to be setup by IB and not by NinjaTrader. Agian however if you are only trading to the internal Sim101 account then the commissions are setup through NinjaTrader using the links and information in my previous post.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Brett; 03-11-2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

What about the Comissions with Mirus/Zenfire?

Are they displayed from the live account or not?

Comment

Hello

Broker Provided Information:

Zen-Fire
            Values exclude commissions
            Cash Value
            Realized PnL

PnL is displayed directly from the broker with Mirus. Therefor adding commissions to live trading is not possible with NinjaTraders commissions settings.

Comment

What about the Account performance statistics?
              Will the commissions show up there?

Comment

Yes, commissions will be visible in the account performance section.

Comment

Sadly they are not. I'm using NT7 and a live account.

There are no commissions in Account performance summary nor in executions. The only thing I'm seeing is the Cash value in the Account tab.

Comment

Hello symphys,

Thank you for your reply.

Are these trades that occurred before or after configuring commissions?
                    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

After configuring my live account I didn't change anything in commission.

With the Demo account, which I do not use anymore, I may have edited it but because of your posting I changed it back to 0.
                      In Options -> Commission everything is 0.

So I'm a little confused right now. Do I need to set up commissions or not?
                      I just want commission to show up in Account performance. I do not care about PnL in a live trade.

Comment

Hi symphys,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, commissions will need to be configured in order to see those deductions in your performance reporting.

Keep in mind that the commissions will apply only to those trades that are placed after commissions are configured.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                          Zen-Fire
                          Values exclude commissions
                          Cash Value
                          Realized PnL

PnL is displayed directly from the broker with Mirus. Therefor adding commissions to live trading is not possible with NinjaTraders commissions settings.
                          Is there any reason why another (optional) column under under the accounts tab can't be made availiable that would show the PnL minus commissions for those connections where Realized PnL doesn't include the commissions cost? Perhaps this could be a "selectable choice". Futures commissions can really add up during a day and for those using Zen-Fire, for example, it would be nice to be able to look at the accounts tab and get a good approximation of the actual net PnL during a trading day. Otherwise, I need to go back and count how many trades I've placed so far during the day, calculate the commissions, subtract it from the Zen-Fire reported Realized PnL, in order to get an idea of how things are really going during the day. NT has all the info needed to do this, but I have to do it manually to get a good approximation of the day's net PnL. Why can't we have a choice to do this so I can just go to the Accounts Tab and get a quick update of how things have really performed during the day (including commissions). Surely since I have to do this by hand, NT should be able to make the same calculation. It would definitely help me. Thanks.
                          Last edited by higler; 04-23-2010, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Hello higler,

Thank you for your post.

I will forward your suggestion on to my development team for further consideration.
                            Thank you for your feedback!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
                            10 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post traderqz  
                            Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                            5 responses